Sherman saddle

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
charliemanta13
14ers: 14 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Sherman saddle

Post by charliemanta13 »

I've heard some things but I'm wondering what real dangers am I facing on the Sherman saddle?
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Sherman saddle

Post by CreekRunner »

What danger have you heard? Besides the general risk you take hiking on rocky terrain, high altitude, exposed, etc, from my experience Sherman's saddle and the whole route has nothing to fear. If I could think of any dangers, it would probably be the cornices that form along the mountain right about now, or mine pits that are around the mountain.
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

The saddle between Mount Sherman and Mount Sheridan collects a lot of snow on the east side that is blown there by the prevailing west winds. This snow usually persists well into spring and possibly summer. It is often right on the standard route. The most serious danger is avalanche. You might find tracks leading through the snow even when avalanche danger exists. There also may be a cornice on the ridge. It would be dangerous to be on or below the cornice when/if it breaks off.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Regardless if the saddle has snow, it would be rare for it to slide in early summer (spring can be a different story). It just doesn't have the dynamics as some other wind loaded slide areas. I'm somewhat surprised that it can form a significant cornice, but if anyone has a picture of one, it would be nice to see. The snow slope should usually be avoidable and there are alternate routes if conditions warrant.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

charliemanta13 wrote:I've heard some things but I'm wondering what real dangers am I facing on the Sherman saddle?
I'm assuming you are referring to the saddle that the standard route ascends between Sherman and Sheridan...if so, it is a simple, wide ridge hike. No real exposure to speak of, trail is obvious and what rock is there is stable. My son doesn't like exposure at all and he had no issue with that ridge at all.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Only in the winter (which extends into June) where there can be unstable cornices and avy danger. People then may trench an alternative steeper route to the north.
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Danger on the Sherman Saddle??? None.

Going of the ridge, there are some exposed spots where you wouldn't want to stumble. Or, at least, when my 9 yo daughter and I were coming down the ridge, I was right on her tail, ready to grab her jacket, and in some cases, I was holding onto her jacket.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Spuddy wrote:
charliemanta13 wrote:I've heard some things but I'm wondering what real dangers am I facing on the Sherman saddle?
I found Sherman Saddle to be pretty safe, should be fine for anyone who has done any hiking before.
huffy13 wrote:I'm assuming you are referring to the saddle that the standard route ascends between Sherman and Sheridan...if so, it is a simple, wide ridge hike. No real exposure to speak of, trail is obvious and what rock is there is stable. My son doesn't like exposure at all and he had no issue with that ridge at all.
rob runkle wrote:Danger on the Sherman Saddle??? None.

Going of the ridge, there are some exposed spots where you wouldn't want to stumble. Or, at least, when my 9 yo daughter and I were coming down the ridge, I was right on her tail, ready to grab her jacket, and in some cases, I was holding onto her jacket.
The person who asked this question did so in early May.

Although avalanche danger isn’t as high on this route as it is on many other routes, and the danger should be avoidable with some route adjustment, it seems a bit silly to say that there is no possible danger at all in the spring. Exposure is not the problem.

Often, the route up to the saddle can be a safe winter or spring route (I have climbed it in December and January [with my 10 year old son]), but sometimes it’s not. If the saddle isn’t in condition, avalanche danger can (and should) be avoided by adjusting your route and thus avoiding the slope below the saddle. (When conditions allow under certain spring conditions, climbing in the early morning hours on frozen snow can also help alleviate the danger).
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.