Kit Carson

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
logan14er
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (0)

Kit Carson

Post by logan14er »

I was wondering when Kit Carson Avenue'll be open? I'm thinking of heading up on Sat, June 11. Will it even be passable, and if it is, would I need my Ice axe and all, or just microspikes?
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Kit Carson

Post by BKS »

No it won't be passable by then. It will be a horribly exposed traverse on a steep loaded slope. It's usually July before it's clear. It's sketchy even with full crampons and ice axe before its melted out
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

If you're curious as to what the Avenue looks like with snow (and I concur, it's generally slow to melt out), check out the conditions report by BagginPeaks from last July (7/4/15). I had been planning it for just after the 4th last year, but I took one look at those pictures and said forget it. Even with an axe there'd only be a split-second to react. Check out conditions reports regularly, but in a heavy spring snow year like this, I'd expect a repeat of last summer, with the Avenue not melted out until July 10th or so.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

I'm gonna disagree with the above. The snow is generally avoidable by mid-june (though not this year as stated) and, when consolidated, it really isn't that sketchy with ax and pons, provided you know how to use them. Good placements will obviate any need for reacting to a fall.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

There was a little bit of unavoidable snow left on July 4th weekend (I think July 5 or 6) in 2014. Managed without any special gear, and the snow was limited to 3 short sections, (one when first entering the avenue, and the others on the backside of the avenue). It wasn't particularly treacherous, but was certainly not an area to let your guard down.

As others have stated, it seems that snow should linger for a while up there this year.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Usually it's well melted and passable by early july.

June 11 is a stretch though.

Right now the snow field is easily visible from the valley. This means the snow is dozens or hundreds of feet deep. The avenue of course is just a ledge along a cliff face, and snow piles up on top of the ledge and gets wedged in there and packed down and takes forever to truly melt off even in the 80 degree heat we've been having. End result is instead of being a ledge, the snow turns the whole thing into just another part of the cliff. To cross it you'd probably want two ice axes and crampons, and do it when the snow is cold and solid; a fall would certainly be fatal.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13344" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is from February, but the amount of snow on the avenue is probably unchanged since then (just a bit more packed).
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
logan14er
Trip Reports (0)

Post by logan14er »

Thanks for all the info! I was just checking the weather though, and it looks like even at the summit (I used mountain-forecast), it's not going to get below freezing for a week, and in the day, it'll be in the mid 40's. And the avenue is south facing. Plus, with the t-storms, it'll get some rain-on-snow. Wouldn't that be enough to clear it, assuming it stays that way for the week and a half before I go?
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

The avenue wraps around 2 sides of the KC summit block, west and south. The west face (closer to Challenger) is the one that logically holds the snow longer. I'm planning on a summit attempt about 2 weeks after your attempt and I'm pretty nervous. I'll have some limited snow gear, but may have to decide last minute for another mountain depending on last minute conditions. Check out the conditions pic. from 5-25 (only 9 days ago): http://14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_en ... ecnum=6428 Obviously nowhere near summer ready.

I'd suggest that you watch the conditions. Unless it can melt out enough, or if you're prepared / skilled for a snow filled crossing, I'd suggest having a back-up itinerary. The mountain will do what it wants and be ready for you when it wants to be. As the time approaches, weigh the options, but you may a have a better time somewhere else rather than trying to force something.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
logan14er
Trip Reports (0)

Post by logan14er »

Oh, I'm watching the conditions, which is in fact what led me to the Sangres. I was thinking of something in the Elks (Snowmass or Capitol), but they have so much snow right now, and the Sangres have the lightest snowpack of any range. My backup mountain is Pikes, but I'd much rather do Kit Carson as long as it's safe. And I've seen that picture, and there were comments saying that it should be clear enough by the 11th, given the forecast.
Corey17
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 62 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Corey17 »

I'm one of the guys who commented on the recent update for the Avenue - and I've got my backup plan completely up and ready to fire, should the Kit Carson Avenue prove to be a snowfield of nope. I do not in any way expect it to be clear of snow by June 11 - the snowpack is simply too much. Receded significantly? Probably. I'm personally hoping for a conditions update this coming weekend of some form. As a whole, I am very concerned about the safety of going for the avenue. :-SS

On that note, if anyone happens to get a good look at it in the next 7 days, please share!! There seem to be several parties looking at 6/11 as a possible day to climb KC.

In general, I'd strongly hazard against anyone going up there w/o crampons, at least 1 axe, and some knowledge of how to use them. Microspikes likely won't cut it.
logan14er
Trip Reports (0)

Post by logan14er »

BKS wrote:No it won't be passable by then. It will be a horribly exposed traverse on a steep loaded slope. It's usually July before it's clear. It's sketchy even with full crampons and ice axe before its melted out
So you're fairly sure the above won't be true, but I should certainly expect a decent snowpack?
jkillgore
14ers: 30  2  2 
13ers: 68
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jkillgore »

skied kit carson last week (5/25). no way avenue will be melted by 6/11. I also wouldnt say it looked like extreme terrain. just an axe and crampons and knowledge to use them safely should suffice. and a freeze...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9bTz ... EdXbzVZTkE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;