Sneffels?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Sneffels?

Post by AlexeyD »

Curious if anyone has been to Sneffels (Yankee Boy Basin side) this weekend, and can comment on general snow coverage, V-notch conditions, etc.
ErikS
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sneffels?

Post by ErikS »

I'm curious about this as well, though I plan on doing the southwest ridge from camp at Blue Lakes on the 18th. Any insight would be appreciated. Many thanks.
Klinger1986
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Klinger1986 »

AlexeyD wrote:Curious if anyone has been to Sneffels (Yankee Boy Basin side) this weekend, and can comment on general snow coverage, V-notch conditions, etc.
I sent you message Alexey, but I'm not sure if you got it. It's just sitting in my outbox.

Current conditions on Mt Sneffels as of last weekend: EPIC as usual with slush fest conditions, snowshoes a must for Yankee Boy Basin, upper couloir conditions were in good step kicking condition, not so for the lower couloir, definitely a team effort! 4WD highly recommended for reaching the lower trailhead, had to start lower near the Governor Basin turnoff due to the road essentially being a river. Definitely start this one early!

This was posted on the Facebook group a few days ago. I sent you a more in depth message, if it ever goes through.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” -Dr. Seuss
ErikS
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ErikS »

Klinger1986 wrote:
AlexeyD wrote:Curious if anyone has been to Sneffels (Yankee Boy Basin side) this weekend, and can comment on general snow coverage, V-notch conditions, etc.
I sent you message Alexey, but I'm not sure if you got it. It's just sitting in my outbox.

Current conditions on Mt Sneffels as of last weekend: EPIC as usual with slush fest conditions, snowshoes a must for Yankee Boy Basin, upper couloir conditions were in good step kicking condition, not so for the lower couloir, definitely a team effort! 4WD highly recommended for reaching the lower trailhead, had to start lower near the Governor Basin turnoff due to the road essentially being a river. Definitely start this one early!

This was posted on the Facebook group a few days ago. I sent you a more in depth message, if it ever goes through.
Any chance you got a good look at Blue Lake Pass and/or the southwest ridge? Thanks...
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Got it! Thank you. But good that you posted it here too - sounds like there are other inquiring minds out there.

Cheers!

Alexey
Klinger1986
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Klinger1986 »

ErikS wrote:
Klinger1986 wrote:

Any chance you got a good look at Blue Lake Pass and/or the southwest ridge? Thanks...
Unfortunately I wasn't the one who hiked it, Erik. This is all second hand information. Looking at the pictures I would say there is a lot of snow up there still. Although, this could change very quickly.
ErikS
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ErikS »

Unfortunately I wasn't the one who hiked it, Erik. This is all second hand information. Looking at the pictures I would say there is a lot of snow up there still. Although, this could change very quickly.[/quote]

Thanks. I'll have the axe and microspikes with me. Worst case, I'll hike down to the standard route and give that a go as long as I can get up Blue Lake Pass in the first place. I'm not bringing showshoes, so... we'll see!
Klinger1986
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Klinger1986 »

Thanks. I'll have the axe and microspikes with me. Worst case, I'll hike down to the standard route and give that a go as long as I can get up Blue Lake Pass in the first place. I'm not bringing showshoes, so... we'll see![/quote]

It sounds like you will need crampons for the upper couloir. I'm sure you could get away with microspikes, but it will be dicey.