Nuun Tablets

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lkk8815
14ers: 54  26 
13ers: 238 22
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Nuun Tablets

Post by lkk8815 »

ezabielski wrote:They are for events/runs/rides where you need electrolytes but you don't want to carry the drink mix yourself. Nuun tablets fit in the pockets on my running shorts, and I add them to my handheld bottle when I fill up at streams. Or, for Rim to Rim to Rim and super long unsupported runs like that, I am not going to carry enough drink mix for 11+ hours of running. But carrying a bunch of Nuun tablets in a pill bag? No problem.

If you don't like the taste, look into pills like S!Caps for those scenarios.
What about supported events that make nuun by the bucket? The only reason I have a strong dislike for it is because of events that have only that or water.

I gladly carry baggies of drink mix on long bike rides, backpacking, or events where I know there will be nuun. I see the value of a tablet in some situations but I'm just not a fan although I seem to be in the minority. Thanks for recommendation though, I'll give the s caps a try someday.
passionforhiking
14ers: 30 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by passionforhiking »

Would the Nuun Active tablets be beneficial for 14er day hikes when dissolved in a hydration bladder? The tablets contain no chemicals or sugar (only Stevia) and electrolytes. That's why I'd like to try them. Any more detailed info re: taste. Someone mentioned fizzy and another delicious.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

lkk8815 wrote:
What about supported events that make nuun by the bucket? The only reason I have a strong dislike for it is because of events that have only that or water.

I gladly carry baggies of drink mix on long bike rides, backpacking, or events where I know there will be nuun. I see the value of a tablet in some situations but I'm just not a fan although I seem to be in the minority. Thanks for recommendation though, I'll give the s caps a try someday.
I don't know why those events had them. You're right, they are denying you of the calories of a sports drink. I've always had water or sports drink available at ultra aid stations.
passionforhiking wrote:Would the Nuun Active tablets be beneficial for 14er day hikes when dissolved in a hydration bladder? The tablets contain no chemicals or sugar (only Stevia) and electrolytes. That's why I'd like to try them. Any more detailed info re: taste. Someone mentioned fizzy and another delicious.
I like the taste, personally. They are a bit fizzy, depends on dilution and how long you wait to drink it after putting it in. I once ate one and let it dissolve in my mouth. I don't recommend that. As for 14ers, I don't know if it will be useful or not. Nuun tablets replace electrolytes. If you're loosing enough electrolytes because it's a very long and strenuous hike and you sweat a lot, then you might benefit from it. Luckily, 14ers don't really get too hot. But hey, if you like the taste, might as well add them anyway.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Wow, it has electrolytes!
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

passionforhiking wrote:Would the Nuun Active tablets be beneficial for 14er day hikes when dissolved in a hydration bladder? The tablets contain no chemicals or sugar (only Stevia) and electrolytes. That's why I'd like to try them. Any more detailed info re: taste. Someone mentioned fizzy and another delicious.
I think the flavors are good - you can get creative, if you carry a 1 liter bottle. I've put 2 different flavored Nuun tabs together for variety. No disasters yet.
The other thing I like to do is 1 Nuun tablet with 1/2 strength Gatorade in a liter bottle, if I need some calories with my electrolytes.
I've had zero cramping with that mix.

I'm pretty meticulous about my electrolyte intake prior to hikes - I generally consume potassium (ex. banana), magnesium and calcium (supplements) prior to a big day. Then sodium comes along once I get moving.
Zero cramping.

You'll need to tailor your system to your needs.

I have nothing negative to say about Nuun tablets. Try 'em!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Do you put these in bladders or only bottles?
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

They're convenient but man they taste like crap.
I'm slower than Scott P.
alpha
14ers: 3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpha »

spiderman wrote:Wow, it has electrolytes!
It's got what plants crave.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

lkk8815 wrote:I despise nuun. I don't like the taste or the fizz. As someone who has a hard time choking down granola bars or other dry foods, I prefer to drink my calories. And if I'm doing any type of endurance event, I'm not worrying about watching calories. Low calorie sports drinks make no sense to me, it seems every cycling event has nuun but then there's a tray of cookies, muffins, and pop tarts right next to it...
Hydration/electrolyte tablets like nuun are useful when one wants to go light and not carry bulk, such as backpacking or climbing. Sugar adds bulk and weight. Stops at cycling aid stations would not require carrying those items, so something like Gatoraid makes more sense for that activity. I like Skratch Labs products, but they do add bulk (and weight), so I'll carry nuun along during my backpacks, which work well.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
colincool
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colincool »

I love Nuun, ever since a rep sold me on them while working for REI.

They are great for all the uses already described here... but also... when you hit that 2:00pm hour at work and you find yourself reaching for a soda, or another cup of coffee... think Nuun instead! The ones with caffeine are a fantastic alternative pick-me-up that doesn't involve consuming a sugar bomb soda.
passionforhiking
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by passionforhiking »

Some reviews indicate that Nuun leaves one with a dry cottonmouth feeling. Has anyone experienced this and is it a key factor in not using these tablets?
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

passionforhiking wrote:Some reviews indicate that Nuun leaves one with a dry cottonmouth feeling. Has anyone experienced this and is it a key factor in not using these tablets?
That's just probably due to their first sighting of Capitol's knife edge.... :mrgreen:
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9