Wetterhorn

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bkp003
Trip Reports (0)

Wetterhorn

Post by bkp003 »

Just summited Wetterhorn yesterday. There is still quite a bit of snow up there and it can't be avoided. We crossed sketch, steep, soft snow on a gully beneath ribs which we avoided on the way up by going behind the rib (very exposed!) and doing some class 3 scrambling. We didn't avoid it on the way down and the snow was very soft. An Ice axe and spikes are a must. It was first my encounter with steep snow like this and I was terrified. I've done early season climbing but not this steep. If you're going slow and the snow is soft, I'd try to take a different route up/down. Beautiful weather and a great accomplishment but next time I'd bring my helmet and not cross the snow-filled gully. If you're early and fast, snow may be harder and easier to traverse but even the short section we tossed was very scary. If you slid you'd be hurt badly or killed. Be safe out there!
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Wetterhorn

Post by GregMiller »

Might throw that over in the conditions reports, glad you made it safely.
http://14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_main.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

bkp003 wrote:Just summited Wetterhorn yesterday. There is still quite a bit of snow up there and it can't be avoided. We crossed sketch, steep, soft snow on a gully beneath ribs which we avoided on the way up by going behind the rib (very exposed!) and doing some class 3 scrambling. We didn't avoid it on the way down and the snow was very soft. An Ice axe and spikes are a must. It was first my encounter with steep snow like this and I was terrified. I've done early season climbing but not this steep. If you're going slow and the snow is soft, I'd try to take a different route up/down. Beautiful weather and a great accomplishment but next time I'd bring my helmet and not cross the snow-filled gully. If you're early and fast, snow may be harder and easier to traverse but even the short section we tossed was very scary. If you slid you'd be hurt badly or killed. Be safe out there!
Those gullies below the summit can be a real problem when covered in deep snow, glad you are alright!
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

bkp003 wrote:Just summited Wetterhorn yesterday. There is still quite a bit of snow up there and it can't be avoided. We crossed sketch, steep, soft snow on a gully beneath ribs which we avoided on the way up by going behind the rib (very exposed!) and doing some class 3 scrambling. We didn't avoid it on the way down and the snow was very soft. An Ice axe and spikes are a must. It was first my encounter with steep snow like this and I was terrified. I've done early season climbing but not this steep. If you're going slow and the snow is soft, I'd try to take a different route up/down. Beautiful weather and a great accomplishment but next time I'd bring my helmet and not cross the snow-filled gully. If you're early and fast, snow may be harder and easier to traverse but even the short section we tossed was very scary. If you slid you'd be hurt badly or killed. Be safe out there!
That sounds a lot like our experience on Wetterhorn almost exactly 1 year ago. It's definitely a more serious route when snow is present. Glad you're OK!