Chicago Basin - 4th of July weekend

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
yingyangsoup89
14ers: 36  5 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Chicago Basin - 4th of July weekend

Post by yingyangsoup89 »

I'm trying to gage whether or not snow gear will be needed by next weekend. By snow gear, I mean, crampons, mountaineering boots, and snow shoes. I expect to bring microspikes and 1 axe regardless.

I did some research before posting this question by looking at prior year condition reports and trip reports. There really hasn't been a consistent trend as some years the snow lingers around well into July and others it is melted out.

The most recent update was Bmcqueen's report from memorial day, which looked like it was caked from 11k and up.

Has anyone visited the area recently and can comment on the snow situation? I would like to lighten my pack up, finally.

Cheers,
YYS89
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Chicago Basin - 4th of July weekend

Post by thebeave7 »

I'm heading in on June 29th so hoping someone else posts a condition update as well. I was up there just after Bmcqueen over Memorial day and will confirm that the entire upper basin was snowed in, so much that we skied N Eolus, Sunlight and Windom without worry about hitting dry patches. Snowpack has been melting pretty fast down there (but not as fast as the central mts), and from the photos I've seen of other areas its changed a lot.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
yingyangsoup89
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yingyangsoup89 »

How long you hanging around there for? I think we are heading that way next Friday.
thebeave7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

20 hours, so I'll be gone by the time you get there.

Eric
yingyangsoup89
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yingyangsoup89 »

Post up some updates! Thanks
thebeave7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

I won't have any time, got a project going on. Sorry I probably won't be able to give you any updates on the conditions.

Eric
clairebear
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by clairebear »

Hi! I'm actually heading up there this coming weekend - July 4th- with hopes to summit the Chicago Basin 14ers so trail conditions are also on my radar~ I've not had much luck on the online forums so far, but do you have Instagram ? I have managed to contact a few people via Instagram that have been there in the past 14 days or so and they have reported much snow still up there past the twin lakes. I'm from Phoenix ( desert rat lol ) so I don't have all the proper snow gear you mentioned so I will just pack some microspikes and push for the summits ( as far as I can go safely obviously)- but since you do have all the snow gear mentioned below I think its still wise to bring it at this point from what I've seen recently.
yingyangsoup89
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yingyangsoup89 »

Joetrabucco: IG
Kelly M
14ers: 54  3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kelly M »

I climbed Sunlight last year on July 17th and it was actually my first snow climb. Strap crampons and an axe did the trick. We were definitely happy to have the gear. I believe some people were going sans traction/axe but I felt safer with the gear and it allowed for some glissading. We didn't need snow shoes at all. It was dry up to Twin Lakes. Chicago Basin is a dream, happy trails!
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

FWIW, we did Eolus last year on July 6th with no snow gear and no problems. We spent a lot of time in the snow, but, in my opinion, as long as it isn't frozen hard all is good.