Which way down is easier (safer)? Decalibron

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
paul109876
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (12)

Which way down is easier (safer)? Decalibron

Post by paul109876 »

I have Democrat but need the rest. Is it easier (safer) going up the Bross trail and then down the Cameron trail to the saddle?
Try waking up on the right side of the grass- that's a good place to start
Opinions are like A$$Holes- everyone has one, but some stink worse than others. So please, keep your opinion clean.
I work a lot of hours so I don't have to sleep outside and so I can go on vacation and be outside.
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Re: Which way down is easier (safer)? Decalibron

Post by bmcqueen »

I did the loop in reverse a few weeks back. I definitely think it's easier that way. The trail coming down from the Democrat/Cameron saddle is way better than the trail coming down Bross.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
Liquid Shadow
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 68 3 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Brad you be cray cray. :mrgreen:

The trail on Bross is so loose, I'd rather surf down than try to climb up. Go up on Cameron and down on Bross gets my vote.
-OwenZ
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

Brad you be cray cray. :mrgreen:

The trail on Bross is so loose, I'd rather surf down than try to climb up. Go up on Cameron and down on Bross gets my vote.
I'll freely admit that the Bross couloir was still in and as soon as I could, I jumped on the snow and climbed that to the top. But I'd still rather go up a crappy trail than go down one. :-)
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I never go up or down Bross any more. I've had enough of that crap, just go back to the Demo-Cameron saddle.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Liquid Shadow
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 68 3 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Jim Davies wrote:I never go up or down Bross any more. I've had enough of that crap, just go back to the Demo-Cameron saddle.
This man speaks the truth.
-OwenZ
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

I went up via Democrat, went to Bross, and walked all the way back just to avoid descending Bross. It was not bad at all.
benlen
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15 9 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by benlen »

Oh come on guys, a Bross descent ain't so bad! I've done descents that are much worse (and protracted at that)
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

I would never go down Bross again... ever, if that helps you at all.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

A third option is to backtrack from Bross and go down the Cameron ascent.
This probaly takes 45 minutes longer, but without the scree grief.

Frankly, Cameron and Bross arent really worth repeating. You get your best crimes and views frim Democrat and Lincoln.
paul109876
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (12)

Post by paul109876 »

Thanks all
Try waking up on the right side of the grass- that's a good place to start
Opinions are like A$$Holes- everyone has one, but some stink worse than others. So please, keep your opinion clean.
I work a lot of hours so I don't have to sleep outside and so I can go on vacation and be outside.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

I've gone up Bross twice.
I think it is a better route for two reasons.

1. You miss most of the crowds. There is a good chance you won't see anyone if you go up Bross, unless someone else is going up.
If someone hit Dem as a sunrise, you'll probably meet them between Lin-Bros on your way by.
You first group of people will either be on Lin or Cam, but still small crowds.
And depending on your start time, you can grab a snack at the Dem-Cam saddle and wait for the majority of people to come down Dem, before you go up.
Also, if the weather is questionable later in the day, you're at the Dem-Cam saddle and are in a good spot to head down, not so much if you're on Lin.

2. The first half of the Bross trail is a solid trail, nicely built. But once you cross over the gulch, it becomes loose dirt. With trekking poles, it seems much easier going up, than sliding down.

If you go down Bross.... DON'T GO DOWN THE S GULLY - Follow the trail around to the West Slope.

JQ