Which way down is easier (safer)? Decalibron

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Le Marmot
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Which way down is easier (safer)? Decalibron

Post by Le Marmot »

JQDivide wrote:
If you go down Bross.... DON'T GO DOWN THE S GULLY JQ
+100 we made this mistake, thinking it would be quicker as we needed to get back to camp fast. Boy were we wrong! S gully is suitable only for skiing (snow, not skree). Period.
Its got ELECTROLYTES!
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Others pointed out a return walk on the ridge to go back down democrat, never thought of that but a good idea.

However if doing a loop I think it would be better to go down Bross than up. Bross has the type of scree that you can "surf". You have to be daring and accept that you will be willfully sliding down the mountain, somewhat controlled, somewhat uncontrolled. I actually thought it was fun, but a person certainly could wind up tripping or worse. Or you can tippy-toe it, but that would take hours and be a major pain. The scree is more pebble to gravel size, rather than the smaller kind where you just fall on your butt. Keep in mind I just did Columbia a few days ago - I thought that was worst of any 14er so far, a fair bit worse than Bross. No surfing there, just an agonizing downclimb trying not to slip with every step.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

Or you could do the East Slopes route and avoid the whole mess. Bonus: you get to see 4x4s getting stuck in the scree.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
paul109876
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (12)

Post by paul109876 »

7/5 I'll do the out and back and return the Demo/Cameron saddle. I mapped it like that and since I will not being doing Democrat it is only about 7.25 miles RT.
Try waking up on the right side of the grass- that's a good place to start
Opinions are like A$$Holes- everyone has one, but some stink worse than others. So please, keep your opinion clean.
I work a lot of hours so I don't have to sleep outside and so I can go on vacation and be outside.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

paul109876 wrote:7/5 I'll do the out and back and return the Demo/Cameron saddle. I mapped it like that and since I will not being doing Democrat it is only about 7.25 miles RT.
Sounds like a good choice. Have a great climb Paul !!!!!
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Pikesperk
14ers: 27 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pikesperk »

I did the standard clockwise route decending Bross a week ago. No big deal. From all the talk about Bross decent I was waiting for the terrible part. It's totally fine and I didn't see what the big issue was. Yes there are areas of just loose small rocks but no worse than other peaks. I went through these spots stair stepping/sliding sideways the whole way and it was super fast!
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

I came down Bross thinking it was hard till a one armed man and his dog ran down past me. I want to say he did the loop in an hour and a half.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

The best way to come down is with feet-on-the-ground. I think it behooves us all to learn how to deal with loose scree on a mountain descent; if this is a pursuit you plan on taking on for years and hundreds of climbs, you will encounter it where you don't want it, least expected it... better to practice and maybe slip, fall, and curse, than try to always avoid. There's always technique to learn, even on ball bearings.

Besides we need people going down these scree-trails to carry on the Bross-bashing tradition.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
stacymullikin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stacymullikin »

Is there a way to just do Lincoln, Democrat and Cameron to avoid Bross altogether? I really want to avoid scree or loose rock as much as possible :) :) what is best 14er to avoid scree that's not too far from vail?
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

stacymullikin wrote: I really want to avoid scree or loose rock as much as possible
Have you considered a different hobby?
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

stacymullikin wrote:Is there a way to just do Lincoln, Democrat and Cameron to avoid Bross altogether? I really want to avoid scree or loose rock as much as possible :) :) what is best 14er to avoid scree that's not too far from vail?
Why avoid Bross? That's not the problem. As pointed out, just return the way you came up and avoid the west slopes. Done and done. \:D/
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
paul109876
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (12)

Post by paul109876 »

I did not get the opportunity to hike the route as planned. Hike up to the Democrat/Cameron saddle ( skip Democrat, been there done that) hit Cameron, Lincoln and then Bross and back track. As mentioned earlier I planned out the route like this and the total RT length was about 7.5 miles.

I will be back in late August (29th) and will try this out 1st.

The reasons for "Me" doing this is that I am not comfortable going down a route that I have not seen going up. I try to base some decisions on others opinions but that is somewhat subjective based upon their experience level.
I have some knee and back issues and try to protect those an much as possible and in the past if I come to a section of "up" that is new to me on a skill level I ask myself, " Can I get down this safely?"

We all know, "UP is optional and Down is mandatory" and we should base our decisions on what feels "Safest" for ourselves.

Anyway, I'll update you in August.

Be Safe
Try waking up on the right side of the grass- that's a good place to start
Opinions are like A$$Holes- everyone has one, but some stink worse than others. So please, keep your opinion clean.
I work a lot of hours so I don't have to sleep outside and so I can go on vacation and be outside.