Which way down is easier (safer)? Decalibron

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
billrwathier
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Which way down is easier (safer)? Decalibron

Post by billrwathier »

bmcqueen wrote:I did the loop in reverse a few weeks back. I definitely think it's easier that way. The trail coming down from the Democrat/Cameron saddle is way better than the trail coming down Bross.
I'm running (well, figureatively) with this information. I'm thinking of heading up there this Sunday.
billrwathier
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by billrwathier »

Jim Davies wrote:I never go up or down Bross any more. I've had enough of that crap, just go back to the Demo-Cameron saddle.
Apparently, I need to keep reading...
gjohnston89
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by gjohnston89 »

I like coming down the side of bross. Just hop step and slide on the loose rock. If you get going to fast dig both heels in and lay back. Way better than trying to fight gravity down a regular trail the whole time IMO.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

gjohnston89 wrote:I like coming down the side of bross. Just hop step and slide on the loose rock. If you get going to fast dig both heels in and lay back. Way better than trying to fight gravity down a regular trail the whole time IMO.
Not the case if you actually go down the legal trail. All the scree is long gone and only slippery ball bearings remain. I think you're talking about the lines that go directly off the summit and rejoin the trail later on.
gjohnston89
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by gjohnston89 »

ezabielski wrote:
gjohnston89 wrote:I like coming down the side of bross. Just hop step and slide on the loose rock. If you get going to fast dig both heels in and lay back. Way better than trying to fight gravity down a regular trail the whole time IMO.
Not the case if you actually go down the legal trail. All the scree is long gone and only slippery ball bearings remain. I think you're talking about the lines that go directly off the summit and rejoin the trail later on.
Most likely, i went straight off the side towards the lake when i did decalibron 2 years ago. Crazy how fast things change.
MtnLover
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MtnLover »

I've talked to a friend who has done this one in the traditional order and who feels the same way I do about scree and she definitely recommends going up Bross and coming down Democrat so that is the way I am planning on going. We'll see how it goes though and whether I'm glad I did it that way or not once I'm finished LOL
gnblase
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gnblase »

I have come down Bross once and never plan on doing it again. It is no fun and very hard.
Shrink_on_the_climb
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shrink_on_the_climb »

I descended Bross a week ago down the standard route and didn't run into any problems. It was pretty loose at places, and I had to be cautious with balance, but I never felt unsafe. Sturdy trekking poles were very helpful during my descent. Prepare to slide a little throughout the descent- a little patience goes a long way.
mt_woman_chris9
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mt_woman_chris9 »

So I have done the Bross decent down the traditional route for the loop and encountered the scree. I was not prepared for it and this was my first experience with scree so for me it was a bit unnerving to have the ground giving way, we made it down just fine but it was tense for a little bit.

So now 5 years later I am going back and taking a group of friends with me to do the full loop and I am debating my options to descend Bross. If we don't take the traditional loop route down to Kite Lake to avoid the scree, is there another route option in the summer? Or is the only alternative to back track it to the Dem/Cam saddle?

We are looking at some possible weather coming in for this hike so I want to have our route options in mind should we need to get down sooner than planned.
CSchoick
14ers: 9 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CSchoick »

Take a look at the East Slopes route from Quartzville.