Beta on 4x4 road west of St. Elmo toward Tincup Pass

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
skypilot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 128
Trip Reports (0)

Beta on 4x4 road west of St. Elmo toward Tincup Pass

Post by skypilot »

Can anyone provide any beta on the road conditions west of St. Elmo along North Chalk Creek in the direction of Tincup Pass? I'm hoping to go ~3.5 miles west of St. Elmo to the jcn with the West Collegiate portion of the Colorado Trail. Never been on this road before, so I don't know what to expect. Is high clearance required? 4-wheel? Thanks in advance.
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Beta on 4x4 road west of St. Elmo toward Tincup Pass

Post by JeffR »

You may have luck googling traildamage and other 4x4 sites for condition reports.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

The road definitely requires clearance. I really enjoyed having to reattach the skid plate on my FJ in a storm several years ago after it fell off about two miles down from the pass.
However, I drive fast and the skid plate was already hanging by a thread... You don't need an FJ to drive this road, but you ought to have some clearance. 4WD can't hurt.
My memory says that a well-driven Subaru could slowly make it to your destination, but that's just a fleeting impression in the soup that is my mind.
The road wasn't too rough last time I was there (June 2014), but road conditions change... I don't remember it being too steep.

As an aside:
Since you're not going to Tincup Pass, the cornice that usually blocks vehicle access until this time of year is gone, per Bushducks:
7/3/16 - We recovered a vehicle off the edge at the top. We were able to drive past the snowfield and get to the top. Did not drive the tincup side as it was late. Atv's have been running it for a few days now.
7/2/16 - Open all the way for 50". Sketchy with anything wider but probably good up to 60". Won't be long before full size vehicles can pass.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Can't speak for the south side, but you should be good on the north side, from Mirror Lake, with anything in the Xterra/4Runner category.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
morth2
14ers: 24  7 
13ers: 24 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by morth2 »

The south side (St. Elmo to the top of Tincup) is more mellow than the north side; it's really just a dirt FS road unless it got really rutted out this spring (it was in good shape last October). I'd agree you'd want some kind of clearance but a Subaru with a confident driver can probably make it to the top of the pass.
skypilot
13ers: 128
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skypilot »

Thanks everyone. That info puts my mind at ease. Should have no problem getting where I need to go, given this feedback.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Has anyone been up there recently.
Would like to try this out next week.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

I rode the CT about a month ago, and went from there to the pass on the east side. It's fine in any 4x4 assuming we don't get snow. It's at the upper limit of what I would take the wife's subaru on.

The west side is brutal, I wouldn't want to take my tundra on that. The whole thing is loose bowling ball sized rocks.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Thank You
We are hoping to get there from the St Elmo side
and go after some of the divide peaks from there.
Emma Burr being one of them.
gb
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

I would access Emma Burr from the north, off south cottonwood creek.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

I have looked at that also.
What makes it preferable?
Thanks for your advice.
gb
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

I just thought it was a nice and pretty area. The trhd off tincup is a bit lower in the forest- just not as pretty imo. But I've only climbed it from the N.