San Juan Bear Sightings?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bigDmulc009
14ers: 42  2 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

San Juan Bear Sightings?

Post by bigDmulc009 »

Heading to the San Juans (Sneffels, Navajo Basin, Chicago Basin, Handies/Sunshine/Redclound) and am curious if any hiker/campers have seen anything.

I'm well prepared for camping in bear country, but am just wondering if anyone has some personal beta!
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: San Juan Bear Sightings?

Post by Vincopotamus »

Generally, backcountry bear encounters are fairly rare. You'll have much better luck spotting one eating trash in and around Durango
The only time I lower the bar is après
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Follow the rules for bear country and you'll be fine. Black bears are much more shy than grizz, and don't seem to be a problem in the San Juans like they can be in other parts of the state, like near Aspen. You are more likely to have problems with porcupines, marmots and goats in the San Juans than you are bears.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
bigDmulc009
14ers: 42  2 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bigDmulc009 »

Thank you for the responses- I've only had one bear encounter outside the town of Crestone and that was due large in part to group camping negligence
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

One of my hiking partners claimed to see several bears in the trees of No Name Creek earlier this week. They looked like tree stumps to me.

He also claimed that marmots stole his Spot.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
brett.t.burch
14ers: 29 
13ers: 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brett.t.burch »

I had a fairly large black bear run right across the road in front of me in downtown Telluride a few year ago, and I know bears are quite active in Lake City (seasonally), but I've never seen one in the woods despite plenty of opportunity for that.
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

Anecdotal at best, but summer before last we were going to camp in the vicinity of Ouray. There are two FS campgrounds on the way up toward Yankee, and when we stopped to check out the first we were told a bear had been hanging around the area and had been seen the night/morning before. Based on some of the camps we saw as we checked out the sites, I'm not at all surprised.

I've heard about bears in lots of places I've been, but the only in-state place I've ever actually seen one was a Durango hotel parking lot.
scottaskinger
14ers: 39 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scottaskinger »

The similar bear "encounters" are pretty funny! The only bear that I have ever seen in Colorado is running across 550 just north of Durango in the middle of the day.