Gray's on a Friday Night

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JDenver
14ers: 25  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Gray's on a Friday Night

Post by JDenver »

I am considering doing Gray's Peak tomorrow night after work. What are the chances that I will be able to find parking around 5:00 PM? I was in the area a couple weeks ago on a Tuesday night and there was plenty of parking but I get the feeling that Friday could be an entirely different story.

Thanks in a advance for any intel.
Rocky Mountain Native
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Gray's on a Friday Night

Post by jrs1965 »

I did Grays and Torreys a few years back on a Friday night starting at ~9 PM. Was plenty of parking at that time but those peaks have become a lot more popular in the last few years...
Last edited by jrs1965 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
JDenver
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JDenver »

Thanks JRS. My other option is Humboldt, which I have not done before, but would require a solo camp or leaving Denver at 0200 which is my preference because four hours in my bed usually trumps 6 - 8 on the ground. However, makes for a long day of driving and hiking. it is rare that I get on opportunity these days to do one I have not done before so am bouncing back and forth between and evening on Gray's or a day on Humboldt.

If anyone wants to chime in I would love some help getting off that fence!
Rocky Mountain Native
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I would take Humboldt any day over Grays. Such beautiful views of the Crestones. Lot's of good camping options along the way.
tjmartn1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjmartn1 »

I found parking at midnight on a Friday night last July right below the trailhead (probably 200 yards). By 6am there were people parked on both sides of the road for about a mile leading down from the trailhead. I think you'll be completely fine.
Lville
14ers: 51 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Lville »

I can't imagine that you would have trouble w/ parking on a Fri nite or any nite at the Grays trailhead. Grays is a daytrip - not many folks spending the nite there would be my guess. Parking lots emptying out around 2pm. And we spend so much time ragging on Grays because of its popularity that I think we forget how beautiful that approach valley is. Nothing wrong w/ Grays.

That said, Humboldt is easily the more interesting of the two IMHO. Not the mountain itself, but the view of the Crestones. I spent the nite in my tent next to my truck at the upper trailhead and I hear what you're saying about fewer hours in a good bed trumping more hours on the ground, but sleeping on the ground easily trumps sleeping in a bed + 3-4 hrs of driving in the middle of the nite!
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Friday night parking at Grays TH will fill up.
But not by 5.
You should be able to find a spot in the parking lot, along the road, or after the lot.
Just don't park like an idiot.

Humboldt.... only issue this week is smoke from the fire. Not sure if that is a concern.

JQ
JDenver
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JDenver »

Great input by all. I do love the valley on Gray's, especially in the evening, but probably won't have another weekend this summer to get down South, so think I am going for Humboldt. I have lived in Colorado my entire life, 45 years, and have never hiked in the San Juan's, gotta make it happen. I love driving, and usually the early hours don't bother me but it has been a few years since I did it.

Anyway, hopefully will see some of you down there.

Thanks as always.
Rocky Mountain Native
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I-70 in the Evergreen area turns into a parking lot late afternoon.

You can probably summit at least one peak by sunset. Then an almost full moon will up already to help light the way down.
tjmartn1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjmartn1 »

f**k. That means one less campsite for me to choose from. But I'll most likely see you at Humboldt.

The guy with the black lab trying to hoof it up the 4wd road with bulky car-camping gear will be me, and I'd pay you or anybody else a nice crisp fiver for a ride to the top! I don't mind sharing my site with anybody else either, if camping is scarce.
emcee smith
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (52)

Post by emcee smith »

I was up there camping on a Friday night a few weeks back and when we arrived at around 4:30pm, there were about 5 cars at the trailhead. After a few hours, there may have been another 5 cars; still plenty of room at the trailhead proper by sundown.

Good luck. Camping at the trailhead made for an easy and enjoyable hike the next day.
"Chug a luggin up one side, glidin down the other, [I'm] a lover of the other side of the hill"