Is Castle actually enjoyable?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Is Castle actually enjoyable?

Post by pmeadco »

AlexeyD wrote:I don't know why everyone hates on the Belford switchbacks so much!
My knees would be happy to explain... :wink: Actually, I don't mind going up routes like that one, but going down does wear on me. I generally stick to gentler grades when I have the option.
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voshkm »

pmeadco wrote:
AlexeyD wrote:I don't know why everyone hates on the Belford switchbacks so much!
My knees would be happy to explain... :wink: Actually, I don't mind going up routes like that one, but going down does wear on me. I generally stick to gentler grades when I have the option.
Just did the beloxford last weekend, we took the Elkhead down because of my knees. I am not certain but it is so much more gentle it may have been faster despite the added distance. if nothing else it facilitated viewing the Beautiful Missouri basin because you didn't have to have your eyes glued to the ground to not fall down the mountain. I would probably recommend going up the Belford trail to save time if you are going for Oxford (a little slog is good right?). The trail head is below 10K so the cumulative elevation gain is pretty up there, I think doing Missouri Oxford would be pretty rough if you aren't very fast and fit (about 7500gain). Although camping at 12k near the basin would cut that down a bunch and there were some great sites being used even though they weren't 100' away from the water.
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

I'll vouch for Castle, as it's one of my favorite 14ers. The walk up the road is easy, enjoyable, and beautiful. The talus and then scree going up to the ridge can be loose, but personally I don't think it's so bad. From the ridge to the summit is a blast. Yeah, it's class 2+ and loose, but being a ridge it's nothing like a loose class 2+ gully. The views are extraordinary.

Highly recommended. About being dog-friendly though, depends on the dog. I probably wouldn't take mine, but the hardest things he's done are Half and Ouray. Castle is a very rocky hike, so keep that in mind.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Yes, Castle has three classic ski lines and pretty good accessibility with Braun huts nearby. Oh, wait nevermind.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

lodgling wrote:Yes, Castle has three classic ski lines and pretty good accessibility with Braun huts nearby. Oh, wait nevermind.
Oh, no, please go on...
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
NetJetsHiker
14ers: 41 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NetJetsHiker »

Castle Conundrum are enjoyable. I dis it last year with my dog. I wish I had driven further up. The road is not that difficult (Xterra). We also went down the coulior and found it overrated. Another group with a dog went ahead of us. No problems. But know your dog and their abilities. I have one that only goes class 1 and some 2s.
I also recommend Frenchman Creek for Harvard and Columbia.
Belford Oxford Missouri, I camped around 11k and then did the trio via Elkhead Pass.
Huron is a nice hike, easy for the dog, good camping.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

NetJetsHiker wrote:We also went down the coulior and found it overrated
Hmm, I'm curious about this statement. Which couloir are you referring to, and what do you mean by "overrated"? (like, in terms of quality, difficulty, or what?)
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

Castle is fun. Been up it 3 times. It is a good introduction to what harder ones will be like. I have seen a number of dogs up there and at least two had bloody paws. There is a lot of sharp rock. I know my dog would do it but the risk of injury and the fact he probably wouldn't like it much makes me leave him home for this one.

The best way to do Bel-Ox is the standard route up and Elkhead down unless you are racing weather. With Elkhead, you even get to miss out on the last 100 feet of gain back on the return to Belford. When you regain the ridge, just turn left.

Dave
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Weather in Aspen looks like crap so I think Castle is out for now.

How bad is the road past Angel of Shavano? Is it worse than the road up into the Decalibron camp area? We have an Impreza, but I've made it over some crazy stuff before. Although I don't want miles of crazy stuff.

I also ran across Ellingwood Point north ridge. Is there any car camping access on the way to or at the Zapata Creek trailhead? What's actually class 3 on that route if there's no snow to climb?
Last edited by AyeYo on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

AyeYo wrote:I also ran across Ellingwood Point south ridge. Is there any car camping access on the way to or at the Zapata Creek trailhead? What's actually class 3 on that route if there's no snow to climb?
The South Zapata Lake TH has outhouses, bear-safe trash cans, a campground (paid, managed) with bear lockers, and plenty of 2WD parking. One could probably pitch a tent on the trail to the falls. The class 3-4 stuff (depending on your line) is the last summit stretch. Might traverse climbers right around the final wall if having trouble finding a weakness through. FWIW, I descended to the upper SZL below the Twin Peaks, then back up taking the North Fork Trail of SZL to California.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

I didn't realize Zapata was a managed camp ground. BLM site says it's usually full by noon on Friday, which I won't make. Is there parking on the road other than the camp ground? I'm fine with hiking in a little, just need to pack differently.
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

Shavano and Castle forecast look almost the same right now don't they? 50% chance of rain/storms, mainly after noon. If you're leaning towards Shavano because it seems safer of the two if rain comes, that's not a bad idea.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part since the forecast I'm looking at is about the same as Castle and I want to say to myself, yeah, doesn't look so bad.