Antero 4x4 road

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gnblase
Trip Reports (0)

Antero 4x4 road

Post by gnblase »

Anyone driven up the 4 wheel road to Antero lately? I am wondering how it is...what the difficulty level is? I have a 4 door Jeep.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Antero 4x4 road

Post by randalmartin »

Snow would no longer be an issue. It's a relatively easy 4WD road. At some point it becomes a matter of just how far you want to drive (how easy you want to make the hike). The road goes up over 13kft.
CHeimCO
14ers: 4 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (2)

Post by CHeimCO »

Here's a link to the road on traildamage. They have a good route description and state difficulty ratings. It's doable in any jeep. Just gotta make sure the driver is up to par.
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhill13
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bhill13 »

Drove the road on July 4th, I also have a 4 door jeep, a wrangler, made just past tree line with no issues. Decided to stop there so we could actually do some hiking, could have easily kept going.
Black Bear
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Black Bear »

A 4WD Jeep will have no issues at all. There are a few small spots where you will have to make a decision in order to avoid a rock or deep rut, but this road isn't too bad. Not sure how high you are wanting to drive, but near the top (like 13,000 ft. or so) it becomes a lot steeper and tighter turns, but I saw several Jeeps and Toyota 4Runners that made it all the way.
C_Smith1003
14ers: 35  12 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by C_Smith1003 »

I did it in a 2012 Liberty, you're good!
hilo21
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hilo21 »

Think I could make it in a Subaru?
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

I drove it 2 weeks ago up to 12,200' in my Tacoma. Only reason I stopped is because I actually wanted to get a decent hike in.

I saw a Subie Outback at the turnaround near 12,000ft. Seemed to make it up no problem, although I wouldn't want to do it in a newer Subie. I saw a Toyota highlander turn around about 11,500 where there was a lot of loose rock on the road. Looked like he couldn't get any traction in the loose rock.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
hilo21
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hilo21 »

Thanks for the info, it's really helpful to know how far the Outback and Highlander made it before having to stop. I appreciate it!
jeffth5
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeffth5 »

Don't underestimate this road. Having done this road, Princeton road, Yankee Boy, Nellie Creek and Matterhorn this summer, I thought that this one was the hardest of those classics. Traildamage.com backs up my experience, rating the Antero road harder than all of those others. That being said, a jeep with an experienced driver should be fine. Subaru will depend on the driver and risk tolerance. 8in+ clearance and 4lo highly recommended.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

The problems with a Subaru are you will likely burn your clutch quiet a bit and heat up your brakes a bit on the descent. 4W Low is just as important as clearance in my opinion having owned a Subaru Forester previously and now the owner of a Jeep.
CMar75
14ers: 43 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CMar75 »

jeffth5 wrote:Don't underestimate this road. Having done this road, Princeton road, Yankee Boy, Nellie Creek and Matterhorn this summer, I thought that this one was the hardest of those classics. Traildamage.com backs up my experience, rating the Antero road harder than all of those others.
We are researching Nellie Creek for a trip to Lake City next week. My dad did Antero in his Xterra and made it to treeline, but prefers not to repeat the experience. I saw the differential on traildamage, but wondered if you could also tell what you felt made it easier than Baldwin Gulch specifically? It might help boost my dad's confidence level in attempting it. Thanks in advance!