Mt. Princeton Parking

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
swegner14
14ers: 30  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Princeton Parking

Post by swegner14 »

I'm planning on doing Mt. Princeton's east slopes this weekend, and I'd like to know how bad the parking typically is above the large parking area at 8,900 feet. I have a high clearance 4wd vehicle, but is it worth it to go up the road and risk not finding a parking spot? I'm driving from Colorado Springs early and probably won't get to the TH until 7ish. I know Princeton is a popular mountain and that parking can get filled up quickly on a summer weekend. Any input is appreciated. Thx!
sheller
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Princeton Parking

Post by sheller »

There are quite a few spots for parking even beyond the radio towers. I remember coming down and seeing a number of cars parked at several turnouts. As long as tons of people aren't up there you should be able to find something. The earlier you can get up there the better. There were even some people parking right at the start of the upper trailhead off of the 4wd road.
trekhunter
14ers: 47 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trekhunter »

Hiked Princeton Last Saturday. Drove in and camped that the Radio towers Friday night. When we started hiking 6:30 ish Saturday Morn, I was surprised there were not more people parked above the Towers. I think the lack of turn arounds keeps people form trying but there are a half a dozen or so spots there if you don't find any at the towers. I agree with the person who commented before I did, you would have a much better chance at a spot by getting there earlier. Good Luck!
Lville
14ers: 51 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Lville »

We went on Father's Day - Sunday 6/19/16. Arrived radio towers 6:30am. Pretty full. My parking space was not great. Started hiking and maybe 5-10 mins later found *much* better/roomier space just a little ways up. Ran back to my truck and re-parked. Then continued hiking and was bummed to find lots more spaces - one here, two there, farther up. And even a little room to turn around on wide switchback. If I ever hiked that mtn again - which I won't because it's too much rock hopping and not that scenic relative to some others, I would go past the radio towers. There, the secret is out. Now, I should add, this *was* 6/19 which was somewhat early season.
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

I've been up there many times. The best parking where you can still get 3K+ of gain is about a 1/4 mile past the towers switchback. There is a flat area with quite a bit of space on both sides. Even on weekends, there always seems to be space. Some people camp in this area also though there isn't any water.

Dave
Harvester
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Harvester »

If you're not set on the East slopes, consider the Grouse Canyon route. Did Princeton from Grouse a few Saturdays ago and was the only vehicle at the trailhead when I started and still solo when I returned, also saw zero people on trail until Princeton summit. Its a very nice alternative to the standard, about the same distance but more vertical gain with a lot of ridge scrambling and some 2+ - 3 sections.

I used Roach's description coupled with this old TR by PKR - http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=3363. Its 9 years old, but spot on in every detail. I haven't done the East slopes so can't really compare, but I can say the Grouse Canyon route is one of my more memorable hikes now, I'd do it again just for fun.