Is Oct too late to climb?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Is Oct too late to climb?

Post by Oman »

Daniel Joder wrote:Not sure if you have seen my Chicago Basin 14ers Trip Report from the very end of September. We managed all 4 14ers but were snowed and rained on as we hiked out. First week of October could be great, or under a foot of snow...50/50, as someone said. Here is a link to my CB report: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for highlighting your TR. Excellent pix there, including this one, which deserves a wider audience:
gopilot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gopilot »

Thanks for all the comments!! I kinda hoped it would be a 50/50 as that's better than 0/100. I'll be driving back through CO at the beginning of Oct so won't be making a special trip out. But, my query was aimed more at deciding if I should make a quick trip from the west coast out to bag a few peaks -- only have a few left.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

If it does snow and conditions happen to be bad, there are still plenty of good hiking areas in the region that are ideal in October. You could go to Mesa Verde, Canyons of the Ancients, Colorado National Monument, etc.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
gopilot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gopilot »

Daniel Joder wrote:Not sure if you have seen my Chicago Basin 14ers Trip Report from the very end of September. We managed all 4 14ers but were snowed and rained on as we hiked out. First week of October could be great, or under a foot of snow...50/50, as someone said. Here is a link to my CB report: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Epic trip report!! Your photos are seriously BA!!
gopilot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gopilot »

Scott P wrote:If it does snow and conditions happen to be bad, there are still plenty of good hiking areas in the region that are ideal in October. You could go to Mesa Verde, Canyons of the Ancients, Colorado National Monument, etc.
Good thinking there. Autumn in CO in general wouldn't suck at all. Plenty of aspens setting the mtns ablaze is always a treat!
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Scott P : "I don't think there are any mountains in Colorado that can't be climbed anytime between January 1 and December 31."

I'm not so sure about that.
The AdAmAn Club blows up All Kinds of Stuff on top of Pikes
for New Years at Mid Night every year.

Be Afraid! Be Very Afraid [-o<
snowypeaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowypeaks »

I've really enjoyed October except for shorter days, the potential for hungry bears, and hunting season. Once after dusk, I had a hunter walk up to me in camp (and I had no clue that it was even hunting season) and comment that he had me in his sights earlier and suggested that I wear some orange.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

snowypeaks wrote:I had a hunter walk up to me in camp (and I had no clue that it was even hunting season) and comment that he had me in his sights earlier and suggested that I wear some orange.

Exellent reminder. Always wear orange during the hunting season.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Daniel Joder
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

Oman, thanks for posting my picture and crediting the source! I appreciate that. And thanks for the comments gopilot. As someone said earlier...if it snows, there is plenty of other fun stuff to see/do/climb/visit in SW Colorado in October. The peaks will still be there when things align. Then again--there might not be enough snow to interfere, or you might have perfect weather!
DanJ