Castle/con decent

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gogleos
Trip Reports (1)

Castle/con decent

Post by Gogleos »

The recent trip reports for castle/con say the snow for the glissade is gone so the decent route would be to back over castle and then down, right?

How much longer will the hike be with doing conundrum versus not doing it? I'm just worried about the August lightning storms.

Are microspikes necessary at all? I've read some places they are. We have trail running shoes lol
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Castle/con decent

Post by ezabielski »

It's been a few years but I think me and a hiking partner went to Conundrum and back in an hour. Didn't really spend much time on the Conundrum summit, but we didn't rush between them either.
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

I'd probably leave yourself 90 minutes to be safe.
ErikS
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ErikS »

Gogleos wrote:The recent trip reports for castle/con say the snow for the glissade is gone so the decent route would be to back over castle and then down, right?

How much longer will the hike be with doing conundrum versus not doing it? I'm just worried about the August lightning storms.

Are microspikes necessary at all? I've read some places they are. We have trail running shoes lol
The glissade is still barely in. Myself and a few others just did it on Sunday. It's a little sketchy on scree/dirt to get down to it from the saddle, so judge based on your comfort level, but it's definitely still doable. 90 minutes is probably a good average estimate for the over-and-back. It's not far, but it's loose, so it takes some time.

Edit: Microspikes are not necessary
mr_Chris
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mr_Chris »

ErikS wrote:
Gogleos wrote:The recent trip reports for castle/con say the snow for the glissade is gone so the decent route would be to back over castle and then down, right?

The glissade is still barely in. Myself and a few others just did it on Sunday. It's a little sketchy on scree/dirt to get down to it from the saddle, so judge based on your comfort level, but it's definitely still doable. 90 minutes is probably a good average estimate for the over-and-back. It's not far, but it's loose, so it takes some time.

Edit: Microspikes are not necessary
Second all of this. Was there as well on Friday, and the drop through the dirt to get to the snow was not pleasant but wasn't too long (I'm sure it will only get longer though). The glissade was doable but there was an area where it had gotten a little shallow and the rocks were making their presence felt. It may not be advisable much longer at all.

The saddle and back up to Castle is what, like 500 feet or so, of some pretty steep class 2? Plug in your comfort level. :) Good luck!