14er near Breckenridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vandergd
Trip Reports (0)

14er near Breckenridge

Post by vandergd »

Did quandary last year, going to Breck in August, looking for a good 14er that is pretty and close to Breckenridge. I have a 11 and 13 yo with me whom did quandary last year. Any favorites?
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Re: 14er near Breckenridge

Post by TaylorHolt »

Democrat would be the next logical choice. From Breck just drive over Hoosier Pass to Alma and find the Kite Lake Trailhead. If you're feeling good after Democrat, you can add on Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross to complete the popular Decalibron Loop.

http://14ers.com/route.php?route=bros6& ... .+Democrat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

The Decalibron Loop is the next closest, as Lemmiwinks points out, but if you are willing to drive a little further you can go get Sherman, which is slightly more scenic and fun. The Grays/Torreys combo isn't too far either. Don't discount some of the 13ers in that area either. Lots of fun hikes in the vicinity of Breck.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Grays is just on the other side of the tunnel, exit 221.
It is about the same difficulty as Quandry.
Its a two-fer: you can bag Torreys in additional 90 minutes if you have the energy.
Trailhead road can be nasty at times and require a high clearance vehicle. Many car rental contracts prohibit that rough a road.