Longs peak loop this Saturday 8/6/2016

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Longs peak loop this Saturday 8/6/2016

Post by AlexeyD »

Tory Wells wrote:FWIW, I do Longs every year and usually start about 6am, which is not a problem if you are fast. Moving quickly on the class 1 sections is easy, the question for the OP is, can you scramble quickly too? If so, 6am is not that bad.
It's not so much the 6AM start time itself that I'm arguing against here. Like I said, I haven't done the math to see if this is reasonable (because I have no plans for doing this). I'm just concerned, based on the attitude OP seems to be espousing, that he hasn't done that either and is just winging it. Maybe I'm wrong - if so - apologies in advance!
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

People actually do 14ers after 2-4 hours of sleep? I've never heard of that. I think the most I've ever gotten is 2 hours.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I don't see anything wrong with doing Longs Peak at 6 AM if you can move fast on Class 2/3 terrain, have a reasonable weather forecast, and are willing to change plans if storms are brewing early. It should be a five hour ascent on the Loft route if you are going at a good pace. Bailing back down towards Chasm Lake quickly gets you out of trouble. The main difficulty with the plan is the parking/camping situation. Perhaps things are not as crazy mid-week.

I personally did the Loft/Keyhole route with two hours of sleep and didn't feel the affects too much until much later in the day when I was adding on some bonus peaks. Each person is different though. This is an internet forum so it is everyone's duty to be extra judgmental.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I don't see anything wrong with doing Longs Peak at 6 AM if you can move fast on Class 2/3 terrain, have a reasonable weather forecast
I would tend to agree, but the forecast doesn't look that great:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 6KcPfkrLIU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plus, at least on a Saturday, finding parking might be hard at 6 am. You may have to park a few miles down the road.

Anyway, I wish the OP a good and safe trip no matter what he chooses to do.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

You'll be able to find parking at 6 am this Saturday, as it'll be raining.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
killerpitou
Trip Reports (0)

Post by killerpitou »

AlexeyD wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:FWIW, I do Longs every year and usually start about 6am, which is not a problem if you are fast. Moving quickly on the class 1 sections is easy, the question for the OP is, can you scramble quickly too? If so, 6am is not that bad.
It's not so much the 6AM start time itself that I'm arguing against here. Like I said, I haven't done the math to see if this is reasonable (because I have no plans for doing this). I'm just concerned, based on the attitude OP seems to be espousing, that he hasn't done that either and is just winging it. Maybe I'm wrong - if so - apologies in advance!
Well I can only plan so much based on what I have read, I have not done it before. that's why it's on the list :o
I do everything pretty fast including running and scrambling. BUT....It appears you have to do some scouting going up from the loft and that is unlikely I would do any faster than everybody else.... so I definitely need some wiggle.
I guess the bottom line is I would get there night before and plan for a 4am start. That seems plenty. If I can pull it off during the week then may be drive there the morning off and plan a 5:30am. THe only difference would be sleeping in a bed vs. in a car, which is a nice bonus. Good rest is priceless... Thanks for debating with me though. I tend to be an optimist and it's good to get some push back sometime just to put things in perspective.
Jim Davies wrote:You'll be able to find parking at 6 am this Saturday, as it'll be raining.
You won't see me there then. Looks like you might be right in which case will definitely go somewhere else drier and/or lower.
JROSKA wrote:People actually do 14ers after 2-4 hours of sleep? I've never heard of that. I think the most I've ever gotten is 2 hours.
Unless you can go to bed at 8am I don't see how the math work with a 2AM start time if you go to bed at 10pm or later....
Gets back to the planning piece. I usually don't go to bed before 11pm, so there is no way I would be able to sleep before that just because I want/need to. And that I can plan for....
spiderman wrote:I don't see anything wrong with doing Longs Peak at 6 AM if you can move fast on Class 2/3 terrain, have a reasonable weather forecast, and are willing to change plans if storms are brewing early. It should be a five hour ascent on the Loft route if you are going at a good pace. Bailing back down towards Chasm Lake quickly gets you out of trouble. The main difficulty with the plan is the parking/camping situation. Perhaps things are not as crazy mid-week.

I personally did the Loft/Keyhole route with two hours of sleep and didn't feel the affects too much until much later in the day when I was adding on some bonus peaks. Each person is different though. This is an internet forum so it is everyone's duty to be extra judgmental.
that's good news if I can find the right day weather wise....Lack of sleep isn't too bad on one night out, you've got adrenaline going that can compensate. But your day went well. Problem is if the day doesn't then it becomes a long day and as you mentioned then you feel the effects and that's when you have to really make rational quick decisions if you get in trouble and that's when it hits you.....
amandagstone
14ers: 17  4 
13ers: 5 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by amandagstone »

Running up to the Keyhole isn't too tough, especially if you're decent at hopping boulders. Beyond that it's just how quickly you can move on 2+/3. If you're flexible with your schedule, try for a mid-week run instead. Even on Friday in August, the trailhead will already be packed by 5 am.

If you're serious about trying in October/November, be prepared for potential mountaineering conditions. I've been up in the Indian Peaks in early October in a snowstorm. Long's is tricky - I turned back on the Keyhole route in mid-June due to lots of ice. I had an ax and needed it.
MaroonPlatoon
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MaroonPlatoon »

I'm also thinking of doing this Saturday. Have never done it and would leave trailhead around 1am. Will it be ok to do considering the poor weather predictions? I've done 9 other 14ers this summer, but they were all much easier. Also hike quickly and will be going with only one friend who's also fast. Thanks for advice
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

MaroonPlatoon wrote:Will it be ok to do considering the poor weather predictions?
It's hard to say. We don't know you and can't predict how conditions are going to be like.

More than likely you will be OK if you know when to turn back, but if it does storm, there are several sections of that route that can be dangerous if iced up (common even in summer) or even if wet.

If it were me (and I have climbed many mountains), I probably wouldn't try Longs with the current forecast. There are plenty of other safer choices and the mountain will still be there on another day.
MaroonPlatoon
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MaroonPlatoon »

Scott P wrote:
MaroonPlatoon wrote:Will it be ok to do considering the poor weather predictions?
It's hard to say. We don't know you and can't predict how conditions are going to be like.

More than likely you will be OK if you know when to turn back, but if it does storm, there are several sections of that route that can be dangerous if iced up (common even in summer) or even if wet.

If it were me (and I have climbed many mountains), I probably wouldn't try Longs with the current forecast. There are plenty of other safer choices and the mountain will still be there on another day.

Thanks Scott, if the forecast doesn't change for the better I think we'll skip it. Out of curiosity what time would you reccomend leaving? Family members who have done it before are saying you want some natural light to do the hard part past the keyhole. Thoughts on leave time?
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Thanks Scott, if the forecast doesn't change for the better I think we'll skip it. Out of curiosity what time would you reccomend leaving? Family members who have done it before are saying you want some natural light to do the hard part past the keyhole. Thoughts on leave time?
Hard to say. If I weren't worried about parking, I'd probably leave at 3, but last time I left that late, I couldn't find parking. That was Labor Day weekend though. Also, I am not as fast as some. 2-4 is probably the most common time window to start, at least for those that make the summit. Of course that doesn't mean that it's best for everyone.