Trad gear slings

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
yingyangsoup89
14ers: 36  5 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Trad gear slings

Post by yingyangsoup89 »

Does anyone have a recommendation on a gear sling that they really like/find it works well?

Thanks,
YYS89
pak
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 192 2 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Trad gear slings

Post by pak »

YYS89,

I tend to gravitate to Black Diamond products. Their gear sling is pretty simple. It is padded and has a few loops. You can check it out here...

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/ ... ng&start=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For alpine routes I usually just carry the pro and biners on the gear loops supplied with my BD Alpine Bod harness. You can carry slings over your shoulder.
Phil
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

For the most part, crag or alpine, I also like to just rack everything up to triples on my harness, or, rarely, on a shoulder length sling.

But I prefer the metolius multi loop gear sling otherwise. Keeps the rack nice and separated.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I tend to use just the hangers on my harness. There are 4, then the haul loop on the back for a chalk bag and maybe another thing or two that I don't need to get quickly, eg a nut tool, etc. Occasionally I might clip some spare biners onto the coiled rap cord I carry bandolier style. Not a big fan of gear slings, mostly because on less than vertical terrain they tend to slide in front of your torso, to the point it's occasionally hard to see your feet/footholds. A Zodiac sling eliminates that problem, but IMO it's a bit of overkill for a standard rock route.

But if you still are set on a gear sling, and they do make swapping gear for leads pretty quick (just don't drop the rack!), there are several out there. I agree BD seems to make consistently good stuff. One tip that I heard a long time ago was to make sure that if it has a buckle (to adjust the length), make sure it's metal. A broken plastic/Delrin buckle could lead to your gear sliding off into oblivion.

-Tom
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Seems like a better question for MountainProject. But in case you don't want to go register an account just to post one question, here's a relevant thread:
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/practi ... 2040725__1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My opinion is that if you have to use a gear sling when free climbing, you're bringing too much crap. When I was new to trad, I used a Metolius multi-loop gear sling to carry way too much gear. I really liked it for keeping my gear organized, it's been doing that at home for many years. I pretty much always rack on my harness now, when I find myself not clipping bolts. Since I'm usually doing all the leading, I prefer my second clip gear they cleaned on a sling over their shoulder, so at the belay they can just take the whole thing and hand it to me.
TomPierce wrote:Not a big fan of gear slings, mostly because on less than vertical terrain they tend to slide in front of your torso, to the point it's occasionally hard to see your feet/footholds.
Yes, I've watched my second struggle on slabs with gear dangling by their knees. One way to mitigate this is to clip a spare biner in front of all the gear, and clip that biner to a gear loop as far back as you want. This works much better for the second than for the leader.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
scramble
14ers: 35  4  6 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scramble »

Maybe the OP is interested in climbing offwidths/chimneys. Sometimes a gear sling is so clutch.
Nobleman
14ers: 11  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Nobleman »

+1 for racking on your harness. Gear slings (at least IMHO) are awkward as they flop around on you, and can be a royal pain when you need to grab gear and place with your hand that is opposite the sling side. As others have mentioned, if you are carrying enough gear to warrant a gear sling (when free climbing) you may want to reconsider how much gear you are bringing.

Sometimes in winter or when I am wearing an ultralight mountaineering harness I'll use a gear sling - it's usually just an over the shoulder (24") nylon sling. Same for if I'm in some sort of heinous chimney that requires it.

But the few times I've actually used a gear sling, BD makes a pretty good one. I remember not liking the metolius one as much.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Gear sling is great for aid climbing, other than that use your harness. Like polar said, this is a better question for MP. Do a thread search over there and you'll find lots of info.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
yingyangsoup89
14ers: 36  5 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yingyangsoup89 »

Thanks for the great advice everyone.

As for draws, are you all mostly making your alpine draws from sewn single or double length 8-10mm runners or are you making it out of nylon webbing?

Lastly, how many single/double/triple length runners are you typically carrying on a route, on average?

Thanks
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

yingyangsoup89 wrote: Lastly, how many single/double/triple length runners are you typically carrying on a route, on average?
Usually I just look up the route on MP and see what other people have used in the past. Most times someone will basically spell out exactly what is needed. But ya I'm lame 8)

Also noteworthy, I've had some pretty terrible advice(usually sport routes) from MP descriptions but usually they are pretty good.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

I have two sets of extendable draws.

Durable nylon runners purchased en bulk and cheap on-sale paired with biners purchased similarly. Used for general trad climbing. Around 8 of these.

Less durable thin dyneema type ones paired with lighter biners. Mostly for alpine. This set took longer to build, generally buying one or two at a time. About a dozen. I use these to bolster my heavy duty draws as needed. I carry around 12-16 draws for a standard trad pitch.

Mostly all single length. A double on my rescue kit. I tend to think doubles can be improvised (at a cost of strength) or the pitch stopped early if there's super drag and rarely carry them. Somewhat nice in couloirs (generally lower angle fall), on pickets, beneath roofs (not that I do many of these without the ability to sew em up), for nuts on wandering routes, etc. But still, rarely carry them.

No triples. A quad for anchors. Cordelette for sub freezing conditions as a quad deneema is hard to untie when frozen.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Monster5 wrote:A quad for anchors. Cordelette for sub freezing conditions as a quad deneema is hard to untie when frozen.
I leave my quads pre-tied, and never mess with untying and re-tying them at the anchor. That's one huge advantage of a quad over a cordelette, and pretty much what convinced me to use quads for leading in blocks.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign