"Grays Peak: Vandalism at 14k"

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: "Grays Peak: Vandalism at 14k"

Post by Jon Frohlich »

djkest wrote:Holy Cross had a register and I remember seeing some notable names on it. I think this was in 2013...
That one was gone at least as soon as last August.
Roald
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Roald »

Where's Lewis Doherty when you need him?
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.
gjohnston89
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by gjohnston89 »

About a month ago Torreys still had one just off the summit. Checked it out on my way down.
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Richard Derkase wrote:[.There are still registers on many less travelled 13ers and sometimes there are great pieces of history in those.
Dick
It's always a pleasure to find one of the ones left by Mike Garratt or the Roaches.
Then again, these are on peaks as lowly as 7ers, at least that I have found.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Matt wrote:
Richard Derkase wrote:[.There are still registers on many less travelled 13ers and sometimes there are great pieces of history in those.
Dick
It's always a pleasure to find one of the ones left by Mike Garratt or the Roaches.
Then again, these are on peaks as lowly as 7ers, at least that I have found.
I hiked up an out of the way 11er bump a couple years back and was honored to have signed my name right below Ken Nolan. One day, I will see the Roach or Garratt name on a register... I hope....
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

It's always a pleasure to find I hiked up an out of the way 11er bump a couple years back and was honored to have signed my name right below Ken Nolan. One day, I will see the Roach or Garratt name on a register... I hope....
If you really do want to see one from Garrett, they are all over NW Colorado. Most of the registers in the Elkheads were placed by him or Bob Martin. Many in the Flat Tops as well. Escarpment Peak too.

Most of them have very few signatures since they were placed, especially outside the Flat Tops.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voshkm »

kwhit24 wrote:Another excuse to post another pic :-D

I summited Humboldt 3 weeks ago and came across a register up there in one of the wind shelter/holes. I stopped taking signs up a year ago when I got a little more serious about hiking 14ers (Ohio flag still goes with me everywhere) but I found a sign inside the register. I took the picture below (friends and family really like that stuff) and then packed it back in the register.

Are registers that big of a concern? I know there was some very opinionated discussions about the Crestone crossover and people wanting to mark the cairn. I kind of feel like it is one of if not the least impactful way of dealing with the inevitable. Especially on more heavily traveled peaks. I've seen some of the pictures from guys doing the centennials that have really interesting registers. I think a crowbar is on one?

this has been resolved with a deal with the Pokémon Go out fit. they will place pokemons every 50' on the traverse to guide people across.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Scott P wrote:
It's always a pleasure to find I hiked up an out of the way 11er bump a couple years back and was honored to have signed my name right below Ken Nolan. One day, I will see the Roach or Garratt name on a register... I hope....
If you really do want to see one from Garrett, they are all over NW Colorado. Most of the registers in the Elkheads were placed by him or Bob Martin. Many in the Flat Tops as well. Escarpment Peak too.

Most of them have very few signatures since they were placed, especially outside the Flat Tops.
Thank you, Scott!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Roald wrote:Where's Lewis Doherty when you need him?
Wow, the memories. I was the one that took him back up to Elbert to clean that up. I think there is a bit of copy cat syndrome going on in some cases. I remember being on the summit of Shavano a few weeks after the Lewis Doherty incident and people were talking about writing their names on rocks and referring to what they saw on Elbert.
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

randalmartin wrote: Wow, the memories. I was the one that took him back up to Elbert to clean that up. I think there is a bit of copy cat syndrome going on in some cases. I remember being on the summit of Shavano a few weeks after the Lewis Doherty incident and people were talking about writing their names on rocks and referring to what they saw on Elbert.
You can find various posts on Instagram with people holding up sharpie covered rocks too. I think other people see it and assume it's acceptable behavior. At this point it's like a viral disease. Not sure there's much that can be done to stop it.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

gspup wrote:I've never noticed any marker-ed rocks on any summit...but I don't walk around looking at the ground either.

If you see one huck it off the side of the mountain and be done, let it go and then move on with your life. No need to come whine about it here, just preaching to the choir.
+1. I will probably get roasted by the hyper-environmentalists, but there are worse things in the world than a few Sharpie-defaced rocks.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

gspup wrote:I've never noticed any marker-ed rocks on any summit... If you see one huck it off the side of the mountain and be done
Would I rather see one on the summit, or coming down the gulley at me? :-k
randalmartin wrote:"Lewis Doherty" ... I was the one that took him back up to Elbert to clean that up. I think there is a bit of copy cat syndrome going on in some cases. I remember being on the summit of Shavano a few weeks after the Lewis Doherty incident and people were talking about writing their names on rocks and referring to what they saw on Elbert.
What's the LD story?
Jon Frohlich wrote:You can find various posts on Instagram with people holding up sharpie covered rocks too. I think other people see it and assume it's acceptable behavior. At this point it's like a viral disease. Not sure there's much that can be done to stop it.
Is a meme anti-viral? Find a catchy one like You Had One Job and it might even become a site like http://YouHadOneJob.org/. Start a FB or Instagram page tagging the pics?
SummitFail? ProudPublicVandals? FederalGraffiti? LookieMeLitter?

YouHadOneJob for Wisconsin fans Image
Canadians, eh? Image
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."