3 Summits in 4 days?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
scottbabu
Trip Reports (0)

3 Summits in 4 days?

Post by scottbabu »

Looking to accomplish Mt Elbert, Massive and Harvard in a 4 day span. (Saving a day for weather and/or rest). Going to use Leadville as my home base.
I'm 48 and in good shape. I summitted Mt Rainier last year and will be doing Mt Whitney the week before I attempt these 3 high peaks in CO.
I reside in Virginia so I'm slightly concerned about how the altitude might affect my stamina over these 3 climbs.
Is this a realistic goal?
jscully
14ers: 49  2  10 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 3 Summits in 4 days?

Post by jscully »

If you have a high level of fitness I dont think youll have a problem doing that. They are all non technical walk-ups. The distances are longer on Massive and Elbert but definitely doable in a day. It would be a good idea to get an early start on all of them i.e 4-430am to help avoid being caught in a storm.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

jscully wrote:The distances are longer on Massive and Elbert
Hmm...pretty sure the standard route on Harvard has both more mileage and gain than either standard route on Elbert or SW slopes route on Massive. E slopes route on Massive may be a tad longer, but has similar gain (http://14ers.com/route.php?route=harv1& ... .+Columbia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
14erobsessedkansan
14ers: 38 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by 14erobsessedkansan »

I'm actually planning on doing a very similar thing next week, but due to time constraint, have a goal to do three (Massive, Yale and maybe Missouri) in THREE straight days. For me, I believe its possible since a few years ago, I and a couple of buddies did Quandary, the Decalibron group and Grays/Torreys in FOUR days. And we, like you, are flatlanders who go out to CO once or twice a summer and are in our mid forties. I am quite fit for my age, and more fit than my climbing buddies. If the three of us could do it, you absolutely could do it.
You planning on doing the shorter, but steeper SW route up Massive?
scottbabu
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scottbabu »

14erobsessedkansan: That's great to hear you'll be trying this soon. I'm looking forward to hearing how it went.
I haven't fully mapped out my routes yet. Figured I'd be doing this planning in the Fall. I've got time to work out the details ... just wanted to make sure I wasn't biting off more than I can chew.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

scottbabu wrote:Looking to accomplish Mt Elbert, Massive and Harvard in a 4 day span. (Saving a day for weather and/or rest). Going to use Leadville as my home base.
I'm 48 and in good shape. I summitted Mt Rainier last year and will be doing Mt Whitney the week before I attempt these 3 high peaks in CO.
I reside in Virginia so I'm slightly concerned about how the altitude might affect my stamina over these 3 climbs.
Is this a realistic goal?
I promise, that as long as you just never stop walking, anything is possible. It turns out proving this statement involves some heinous BS, but it is in fact true. So as long as you don't get severe enough altitude sickness that makes you descend for your own health, its just walking.

But why those 3? There are plenty of easier ways to get 3-5 14ers in the Sawatch in 4 days if you haven't already done them.
Roald
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Roald »

This schedule is definitely doable. I used to have a similar plan when I'd come out as a flatlander from IN every year and try to do as many as possible in a 5 day period. Thankfully I got to move to Denver last year, but nearly all of my summits were made as a flatlander prior to that. I always found the driving distance between trailheads to be the biggest challenge when on this compressed schedule, but these are all pretty close.
Last edited by Roald on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

I would recommend taking your time on each one and do a day by day assessment of your body to see how you are adjusting/feeling. It'd be one thing to hit all three back to back in a single push but since you are able to space it out, you are afforded more time for rest. If you're not feeling up for the gain, there are easier 14ers close by such as Quandary, Sherman, and the DeCaLiBro Loop.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
scottbabu
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scottbabu »

I chose these 3 to complete my goal of doing the 5 highest peaks in the lower 48. I will have done Mt Whitney the week before (and I did Rainier last year).
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

scottbabu wrote:I chose these 3 to complete my goal of doing the 5 highest peaks in the lower 48. I will have done Mt Whitney the week before (and I did Rainier last year).

Climbing Rainier and then Elbert reminds me of my first ski trip out west, it was to Jackson Hole in 1996, 2 years later I pulled into the Keystone parking lot, thinking all ski resorts out west were like Jackson.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:<snip>
Climbing Rainier and then Elbert reminds me of my first ski trip out west, it was to Jackson Hole in 1996, 2 years later I pulled into the Keystone parking lot, thinking all ski resorts out west were like Jackson.
jscully
14ers: 49  2  10 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jscully »

AlexeyD wrote:
jscully wrote:The distances are longer on Massive and Elbert
Hmm...pretty sure the standard route on Harvard has both more mileage and gain than either standard route on Elbert or SW slopes route on Massive. E slopes route on Massive may be a tad longer, but has similar gain (http://14ers.com/route.php?route=harv1& ... .+Columbia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Sorry meant Harvard. I stand corrected