Summit lake weekend parking; does the lot get full?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Lardtazium
Trip Reports (0)

Summit lake weekend parking; does the lot get full?

Post by Lardtazium »

Hi all. Got a few friends visiting for 2 days. They want to do a 14er, and with the amount of time we have I figure the best bet is probably either Evans from summit lake or Bierstadt from guanella. Personally I'd prefer Evans.

We'd be doing it Sunday and start from summit lake. I'm going to say it'll be a late start (10am or later). Anyone have experience with that parking lot that late in the day? Is it pretty hard to find space?
tjmartn1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Summit lake weekend parking; does the lot get full?

Post by tjmartn1 »

I understand that you're short on time and I don't like being the guy that poo-poohs plans, but it's like a half hour climb up an easy hill from Summit Lake. Your friends are going to be like "wait, that's it?" I know everyone has different standards and it shouldn't matter, but if you told me you climbed Evans from Summit Lake I would be only a tiny bit more impressed than if you climbed it from the summit parking lot. And if I was your friend expecting to tackle my first 14er, I would feel kind of cheated by how short and easy it was. Take them to Bierstadt! Still short and easy but you at least feel like you accomplish something.
Black Bear
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Black Bear »

The parking lot at Summit Lake does get very full on weekends, but there is a second lot about a 1/4 mile before you reach summit lake that only had a few cars in it. It is on the right before you reach the summit lake fee area.
However, I definitely agree with tjmartn1. The easy walk up on Evans is not worth it. If you are going to hike Evans from Summit Lake then you should go around the Summit Lake area via Mt. Spalding. It allows you to see better views and will be more enjoyable. Also, I know Evans generally doesn't take that long to hike, but I would suggest never starting a high elevation summit hike at 10am especially when the monsoonal flow is occurring.
Lardtazium
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lardtazium »

Black Bear wrote:The parking lot at Summit Lake does get very full on weekends, but there is a second lot about a 1/4 mile before you reach summit lake that only had a few cars in it. It is on the right before you reach the summit lake fee area.
However, I definitely agree with tjmartn1. The easy walk up on Evans is not worth it. If you are going to hike Evans from Summit Lake then you should go around the Summit Lake area via Mt. Spalding. It allows you to see better views and will be more enjoyable. Also, I know Evans generally doesn't take that long to hike, but I would suggest never starting a high elevation summit hike at 10am especially when the monsoonal flow is occurring.

Thanks for the input guys.

Poor wording on my part. I was thinking summit lake up Spalding, then over the west ridge to Evans summit.

Unless that's what we're all poo-pooing? I remember doing it a while back. Not hard but not a short uphill walk either. I know it doesnt follow the 3k rule and everything, but for this trip, we're just gonna be some tourists going up a mountain.
Last edited by Lardtazium on Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

Adding in Spalding makes it worthwhile in my opinion. And if you get going before the sunrise, you'll not only be able to find parking, but the sunrise from Spalding is quite nice.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

As an added bonus, you should have Bierdstat from Guanella Pass pretty much too yourself this weekend.
Lardtazium
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lardtazium »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:As an added bonus, you should have Bierdstat from Guanella Pass pretty much too yourself this weekend.
Whys that?
tjmartn1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjmartn1 »

Lardtazium wrote:
Black Bear wrote:
Poor wording on my part. I was thinking summit lake up Spalding, then over the west ridge to Evans summit.

Unless that's what we're all poo-pooing? I remember doing it a while back. Not hard but not a short uphill walk either. I know it doesnt follow the 3k rule and everything, but for this trip, we're just gonna be some tourists going up a mountain.

I mostly meant the direct line from Summit Lake, but honestly I would say the same thing about the Spalding route. I don't really care about the 3000 foot rule, but if someone was taking me up a 14er for the first time I would probably expect it to be more challenging than that. If they're even occasional hikers, and the altitude doesn't affect them too much, and your late start doesn't mean you run into nasty weather, Evans via Spalding is kind of an easy day. And the payoff includes a parking lot with fat tourists wandering around.

Don't want to be negative Nancy or anything but if I had visitors from out of town I'd go somewhere else, even if it didn't have the sexiness of the magical 14k foot line.

But you didn't ask for route advice, you just asked about the parking lot, so do your thing!
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Lardtazium wrote:
SchralpTheGnar wrote:As an added bonus, you should have Bierdstat from Guanella Pass pretty much too yourself this weekend.
Whys that?

Because Bierdstat from Guanella doesn't meet the 3000 foot rule, so no one does it.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:
Lardtazium wrote:
Whys that?

Because Bierdstat from Guanella doesn't meet the 3000 foot rule, so no one does it.

???? :?
Are you being sarcastic? Bierstadt from Guanella has to be one of the busiest 14ers every weekend.

reading it again I see the sarcasm :)
Last edited by Trotter on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

and your out of town friends will certainly enjoy the Mt evans from summit lake hike. Its not tough enough for some people I guess, but its generally tough enough for people who don't live at 5000+ feet

And its the best choice for a late start hike , because if weather does roll in, I bet you'd be able to find a ride back to summit lake from the top.

(although of course, your safest and best chance of summiting means starting earlier than 10)
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche