Wilson Peak: Cross Mountain TH approach

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pctjeff23
Trip Reports (0)

Wilson Peak: Cross Mountain TH approach

Post by pctjeff23 »

Would anyone like to share their opinion/advice on this route for those who have done it? Definitely seems to be a less traveled way to go up Wilson Peak with not much information on it. I would be relying only on Gerry Roach's route description. Also considering the Bilk Basin Approach from Sunshine Mesa TH, but I only have a 2 WD vehicle and the road was too muddy to pass at about 2mi short of the TH when I was there this past weekend scouting it out because I was in the Telluride area.
colluvium
14ers: 10 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wilson Peak: Cross Mountain TH approach

Post by colluvium »

Definitely a great way to do it, with beautiful camping available near the small lake in upper Bilk basin.
Was up there a couple weeks ago, from Sunshine Mesa, but had to stop short of the 13260 Wilson-Gladstone saddle when my junior climber developed altitude discomfort. The information in Roach seemed accurate.
Some snow was still holding along the route high up and I'd regretted not bringing traction aid as it slowed us down to climb around the snow early when it was glazed.
Also, we met a curious bear in upper Bilk basin at dusk, so I'd go prepared so stash food away from camp (we hung it from a cliff).
pctjeff23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pctjeff23 »

Colluvium, do you think microspikes would help for the snow patches or would crampons be more appropriate?
colluvium
14ers: 10 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colluvium »

just microspikes, and then only early, before the sun hits the slope. On the return we were able to kick steps across - still exciting, but soft and gritty enough to arrest a slip.
pctjeff23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pctjeff23 »

Route was great on Saturday. I'd highly recommend it. Definitely a long grind for the day (started at 5:45 and ended at 4:00), but the trade off was an amazing level of tranquility and peace on the route. Views of lizard head at various locations were certainly a highlight. After passing the unnamed lake, I found the the class two section to the ridge to be a little difficult in following the route. Saw about 15 people at or near the summit who had all come up the Rock of Ages approach. Probably one of the most, if not the most, beautiful hike I have ever done, and I have done countless.