Huron Wrong Way

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Huron Wrong Way

Post by ThuChad »

Has anyone felt as dumb as I did this morning when I went the wrong way on Huron from the trailhead? My dad and I were trying to get an early start to be back in Salida for lunch. We started about 4:30 from the 4wd TH. I looked at the trailhead sign that listed some lake and Huron on it. There was a hoodie conveniently hung on the left side of the sign covering the directional arrows. So in my half asleep state, we went straight at the sign and gate. For some dumb reason it took me 1.5 miles and 36 minutes to wake up and figure it out. 3 miles and over an hour later we started climbing Huron.

So if you're ever climbing Huron in the dark, go left before the gate. And if you find a jacket on the trail, don't be a dick and cover directional arrows at the TH with it. Cheers.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Huron Wrong Way

Post by d_baker »

I took a wrong turn on my first time up Huron too. I just turned l. way too soon (after Winfield, before 4x4 TH). Turned out to be a good mistake though. I walked up the old mining roads that lead into Lulu Gulch and ascended up to Middle Mtn and then to Browns.
When coming from that direction, I never saw the Apostles until I topped out on the summit of Huron. That was a sight I won't forget, seeing the Apostles for the first time! I'm happy I f'ed up the route because I'm a dumbass and didn't look at my map that was under my hoody in my backpack!
richwill
14ers: 34  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (5)

Post by richwill »

100.jpg
100.jpg (138.05 KiB) Viewed 1027 times
I can relate. A few years ago, a buddy & I took it on in late November. The trail was completely covered with snow and I turned left too early. We ended up on Browns Peak instead. A good days hike anyway, and I got some nice pics of Huron, and we laughed about it over a beer later...
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

I went up the Northeast Ridge trail on Elbert and for so reason came down the East Ridge trail. I didn't realize my mistake until I was halfway back to the treeline. I had spent over an hour picking my way over the treeline to get back to the Northeast trail. Felt like an idiot the entire time...
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

ThuChad wrote: I looked at the trailhead sign that listed some lake and Huron on it.
Lake Ann. A worthy destination in it's own right.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
dillonsarnelli
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 274 8
Trip Reports (53)

Post by dillonsarnelli »

Different mountain, same difference. First time I did KC, a buddy and I walked past the immediate right turn just out of the parking lot at 3 AM in zombie mode. 3,000 feet and 3.5 miles later the sun came out and South Crestone Lake wasn't Willow Lake. Builds character? :)
Dillon Sarnelli
IG @dillonsarnelli
Basecamp, CO
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

A pair of hungover brothers from Evergreen (who shall remain nameless), once climbed to the top of Huron from Winfield thinking they were triumphantly conquering La Plata instead. Now that's a real screw-up, but at least they got a 14er checked off. If I recall the story correctly, their adventure also entailed using up their first aid kit's gauze because they had forgotten to pack toilet paper . . .
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Should have just climbed Ice Mountain since you were up there, superior to Huron in every way.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

richwill wrote:I can relate. A few years ago, a buddy & I took it on in late November. The trail was completely covered with snow and I turned left too early. We ended up on Browns Peak instead. A good days hike anyway, and I got some nice pics of Huron, and we laughed about it over a beer later...
I prefer this route up to Huron anyway (via Lulu Gulch). You can summit Browns Peak if you like, then to the Huron summit and down via the standard route with all the incredible views of the Three Apostles. Makes for a nice loop!
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney