Fewer finishers this year?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Fewer finishers this year?

Post by TravelingMatt »

SnowAlien wrote:Bunch of 14er finishers on Facebook.
Maybe this is my answer. I do feel the tenor of conversation here has changed over the years, but then my hiking has changed too.

I've never thought I've been missing anything on FB. I doubt there are long discussions there or anywhere else about the best way to do, say South River or Oso.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

It's taken seven years but with good weather and an end to the new snow I hope to be finishing in September. I need to TRY and get the Crestones done over the Labor Day weekend. The following weekend I'll drag my 13 year old son up Uncompahgre for his 2nd 14er and my finisher! I'll be disappointed if I don't get them done but I'm okay waiting until July/August 2017 for Nellie Creek to melt out. As far as celebrating goes, a hug from my son on the summit is all that I want...
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

TravelingMatt wrote:
SnowAlien wrote:Bunch of 14er finishers on Facebook.
Maybe this is my answer. I do feel the tenor of conversation here has changed over the years, but then my hiking has changed too.

I've never thought I've been missing anything on FB. I doubt there are long discussions there or anywhere else about the best way to do, say South River or Oso.
South River and Oso, are those new 14ers? :lol:
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

TravelingMatt wrote: I've never thought I've been missing anything on FB. I doubt there are long discussions there or anywhere else about the best way to do, say South River or Oso.
I don't think you've been missing anything on FB. But I do need to jump in that Oso discussion. Vallecito or Beartown approach. Hmmmm.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

SnowAlien wrote: But I do need to jump in that Oso discussion. Vallecito or Beartown approach. Hmmmm.
Beartown.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

rijaca wrote:
SnowAlien wrote: But I do need to jump in that Oso discussion. Vallecito or Beartown approach. Hmmmm.
Beartown.

Hmmmm.... Vallecito is easier to drive to, and Beartown has too many interesting things you'd be passing by on the way to Oso.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

TravelingMatt wrote:
rijaca wrote:
Beartown.

Hmmmm.... Vallecito is easier to drive to, and Beartown has too many interesting things you'd be passing by on the way to Oso.
I agree, but the key is to get them on prior trips. I think I am good once I get to Beartown. However Stony pass area is ripe with low hanging fruit as well as wire chewing marmots.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I figured people were announcing finishing on FB vs here, but the question is why?

The shelf life of threads on FB is about 2 minutes. A 14ers.com thread will increase your 14 minutes of fame.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

12ersRule wrote:I figured people were announcing finishing on FB vs here, but the question is why?
Much easier/quicker to spray on facebook
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

12ersRule wrote:I figured people were announcing finishing on FB vs here, but the question is why?

The shelf life of threads on FB is about 2 minutes. A 14ers.com thread will increase your 14 minutes of fame.
easier to post pictures. in addition to what Nick said.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
C-Shepguy
14ers: 19  2 
13ers: 44 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by C-Shepguy »

Along with the FB effect, I do think weather has been a factor this summer. I'm not chasing the 14er list, but I do have several long day hikes on my to-do list which I have had to keep pushing back due to forecasts and doing shorter hikes instead on my free days. I'd love to see a nice sunny start to October.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

TravelingMatt wrote:
rijaca wrote:
Beartown.

For the sake of experiencing everything the Weminuche has to offer, one should begin at least one trip at each of these trailheads.