Bierstadt East Ridge, Sawtooth

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Addywilliams
Trip Reports (0)

Bierstadt East Ridge, Sawtooth

Post by Addywilliams »

Ok I can not find this anywhere for some reason...Does anyone know the total distance to do the East Ridge of Bierstadt then going over to Evans via the Sawtooth? And about how long average does this route take?

Thanks.
dogballs
14ers: 41  2  8 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Bierstadt East Ridge, Sawtooth

Post by dogballs »

Did this route last year. Took me roughly 6hrs to do the loop. Total distance was around 6.75miles according to Google Earth. Here is a link to the report.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatu ... ecnum=5442" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun
bichito
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bichito »

I did it 8 weeks ago. I would skip Sawtooth/Evans and return back after B's summit. The fun parts are behind you and an ant-like line waits for you all the way to Evans.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

Gerry Roach says it's 4.9 miles, but I think my GPS indicated something more like 5.7 miles for some reason. I finished in 6 hrs with a 40-minute break at Mt. Bierstadt. It's a fun route, and you're unlikely to see more than a couple people until you arrive at Bierstadt summit, and then you'll suddenly see a hundred or more. It's approx 3,000 elevation gain, and is commonly known as the "Tour d'Abyss" route.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
Addywilliams
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Addywilliams »

Awesome thank you! Looking forward to it! I saw on the link people were recommending parking at the summit of Evans. Would I still do the same route going down the gully first?
thurs
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 41 2 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by thurs »

Addywilliams wrote:Awesome thank you! Looking forward to it! I saw on the link people were recommending parking at the summit of Evans. Would I still do the same route going down the gully first?
Yup.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

It's often called the Tour de Abyss. My GPS said 6.8 miles.

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ss#p613084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But yes, if you choose, you can also go down the slope of Bierstadt toward Abyss Lake (the lake between Bierstadt's E ridge and Evans), go back down the valley, back up the gully, and skip the Sawtooth/Evans if you choose. There's a trail that goes up the valley, paralleling the E Ridge, toward Abyss Lake, called the Abyss Trail. You can follow that back down to the gully if you skip Evans.

If you look at the link, I posted my GPS tracks.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

bdloftin77 wrote:
But yes, if you choose, you can also go down the slope of Bierstadt toward Abyss Lake .
That's 1,000-feet of suck.

Do the Tour. Park at the summit, walk back down to the gully from there. Finish back at the parking lot on top.

JQ
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

bichito wrote:I did it 8 weeks ago. I would skip Sawtooth/Evans and return back after B's summit. The fun parts are behind you and an ant-like line waits for you all the way to Evans.
I would do the entire loop - I think the Sawtooth is rather enjoyable.

Also, you can park at the summit but that will cost you $15. On the other hand, if you drive up there before first light and park at the pullout near the Epaulet/Evans saddle ...
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
Double Oh Seven
14ers: 19 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Double Oh Seven »

I saw on the link people were recommending parking at the summit of Evans. Would I still do the same route going down the gully first?
I wouldnt park at the summit. We did this route a week ago and drove up the night before and slept at the pullout in our cars. The summit parking lot is a s**tshow with limited parking for the tourists. We just hitched a ride from the top and the got the third car to stop. 6 miles and 6 hours was about right for our group. The route was a lot of fun.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

I parked at the pullout/switchback near the Epaulet/Evans saddle. After getting the summit of Evans near the end, just walked down the slope to the car. 6-8 hours might be a good time estimate
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

JQDivide wrote:
bdloftin77 wrote:
But yes, if you choose, you can also go down the slope of Bierstadt toward Abyss Lake .
That's 1,000-feet of suck.
Troof! I did that once due to some concerns over early storms. No fun at all...
Where ever you are... There you are.