locked gate? route to stewart creek TH (san luis) via 15GG

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
odoyle81
14ers: 49 
Trip Reports (0)

locked gate? route to stewart creek TH (san luis) via 15GG

Post by odoyle81 »

Hi guys,
Not sure if we messed up, but we were following the directions to Stewart Creek TH for San Luis Monday evening (9/5) and got to the intersection of 15GG and 14DD and there was a locked gate blocking what appeared to be 15GG. I didn't see any TH reports about this, so maybe it was us, or maybe it is new? Here is the location:
https://goo.gl/maps/pcocAaUozRq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On google, it looks like 14DD would have made it to the trailhead, so maybe it is just mislabeled and the sign is bent?
If it matters it was maybe 9 or 10pm
We ended up going around using the forest roads described so well by Roach and summited yesterday despite the wind!
BuckTurgidson
14ers: 32  2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: locked gate? route to stewart creek TH (san luis) via 15

Post by BuckTurgidson »

I was there last week during daylight hours. That intersection is confusing even in the daylight. I continued on 15GG at the gate, and the road soon ran out - I think on private property. According to google maps, 15GG goes to an air strip.

I turned around and went on 14DD, and ended up at Stewart Creek TH. There are two creek crossings on 14DD on the way. They should be ok for a passenger car if the water is not too high. The sides are concrete, like a boat ramp.

Maybe this link will help show the route.

http://bit.ly/2cd4MHw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
odoyle81
Trip Reports (0)

Post by odoyle81 »

Cool, thanks for the confirmation. I think someone should update the route and trailhead direction pages and say continue on 14DD.. Bill?
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Post by Nelson »

14dd definitely goes all the way to the trailhead and is the intended route. The road was in great shape a week ago.
odoyle81
Trip Reports (0)

Post by odoyle81 »

messing around in google maps to re-estimate the distances, here is my suggested edits:

From the start of the 15-GG road, drive 4.2 miles and at the split continue on 14DD.
Continue on 14DD for 12 miles to an intersection where there are signs.
Follow the sign for the Stewart Creek trailhead by continuing straight on the 794 road.
Drive 4.3 miles to the trailhead.

This was the original:
From the start of the 15-GG road, drive 15.7 miles to an intersection where there are signs.
Follow the sign for the Stewart Creek trailhead by continuing straight on the 794 road.
Drive 4.3 miles to the trailhead.