What's comparable to longs peak?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jeffth5
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What's comparable to longs peak?

Post by jeffth5 »

Tory Wells wrote:
jeffth5 wrote:
I've got that down to around 6 hours--and I'm not even fast.
#humblebrag

Overrated how? Class 3 for the Keyhole? Class 3 for the Loft? 5.4 for Kieners? 5.10a for the Casual Route? I think these are pretty accurate ratings that have been agreed on by many people over a long period of time. Longs is not 'overrated' - just because you find the couple of Class 3 moves on the Keyhole route 'easy' doesn't make it any less Class 3. Just because Crestone Needle is also rated Class 3 by its standard route, doesn't mean that the Keyhole on Longs isn't.

Longs has proven fatal to many - too many on this forum are trivializing Colorado mountains. Yes, many 14er routes are 'easy' to experienced hikers and climbers in good conditions. I'm sure that is great consolation to the families of those who have died on Colorado's peaks, including Longs.
My post mentions the Keyhole specifically. And I'm not referring to the rating so much as to the reputation it has for being an ass-kicker. If one is properly prepared for it, it is not.

And don't get me wrong--Longs is my favorite mountain. I love the variety of terrain and route options that it offers.
The facts are that it is a ~14.5 mile route with 5,100ft of gain, a couple of class 3 moves and some areas beyond the Keyhole where a fall would be fatal. For some people this is easy, for some it is hard. You're editorializing based on your personal fitness level which doesn't do anyone contemplating the route (particularly Joe Q Public) any good and may do harm if you persuade people to exceed their abilities.
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

jeffth5 wrote:The facts are that it is a ~14.5 mile route with 5,100ft of gain, a couple of class 3 moves and some areas beyond the Keyhole where a fall would be fatal. For some people this is easy, for some it is hard. You're editorializing based on your personal fitness level which doesn't do anyone contemplating the route (particularly Joe Q Public) any good and may do harm if you persuade people to exceed their abilities.
Huh? This forum is all about editorializing. Things are easy for some people and not for others. The Joe Q Public readers should know to gather all the opinions they see, average them out, and based on the hints given in the various opinions posted decide for themselves how they might be challenged by a peak. Opinions posted like the one from Tory Well's get added to the pot and mixed in. If you don't know what "properly prepared" means then err on the side of caution. That's the most that anyone should expect.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

I already said Longs was hard for me the first time I did it. I had a similar first experience that most people have with Longs Peak--that it is a LONG day with some serious exposure. It kicked my butt. I said I would never go back.

But now, I can't stay away. What I am trying to convey is that with the proper training (fitness) and practice, these big mountains become smaller.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

If you're talking difficulty I'd look at the "14ers ranked by difficulty." Longs is ranked at 14th, with Wilson, El Diente, and Snowmass being slightly harder, and Wetterhorn, Kit Carson, and Mt Lindsey Slightly easier. El Diente Peak's North Slope is in some respect the most similar: 3/5 exposure, 15miles of length, 5k elevation gain, class 3. Wilson's Class 3 approach is a bit longer with more exposure, Snowmass east is 22miles and 5800ft of gain so much longer and a bit higher, but Snowmass west is 4500ft and 9 miles (each have similar exposure). Wetterhorn is much shorter at 7miles, only 3300ft of gain, but more exposure. Kit Carson is listed as "easy class 3" so the admins of this site consider in a slightly lower category of difficulty than the other peaks mentioned (comparable distance, 16miles, and exposure, 3/5, 20% more elevation gain than Longs, 6200'). Lindsey is easier still at difficult class 2, less exposure, shorter route at 8 miles, and only 3500ft of gain).

I have hiked some of these but I thought a more numerical analysis would aid the OP.
Mansfield1891
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mansfield1891 »

Thanks everyone!