14er Finisher: bdloftin77 !

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

14er Finisher: bdloftin77 !

Post by TallGrass »

Ran into him in Chicago Basin -- friendly, doesn't bite, shed, nor chew on your trekking poles. Noticed he only had Pyramid left, then read this :idea: , checked, and sure enough he updated his profile that he bagged it yesterday. Congrats, bdloftin77! =D> \:D/ Now get back there and hit those 14er sub-peaks! :twisted: Gonna work on the Centennials now?
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Re: 14er Finisher: bdloftin77 !

Post by AnnaG22 »

Congratulations Ben!! So glad that you had a perfect day for your finisher and the your girlfriend did it well! Was so fun doing the Crestones and Culebra with you :-D :-D :-D great accomplishment, dude!
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

Congrats Ben! Did you get all the traverses in? I finished as well three weeks ago on Wilson Peak.

Brian
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

Outstanding accomplishment; I congratulate you.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Congrats!
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Thanks, everyone!! Thank you Tallgrass for noticing and posting. :) I appreciate it. It was good to meet ya.

What's next... Well, I had been wanting to do the 14ers since I was in junior high. In 8th grade, along with track and cross country goals, I wrote in my English notebook that I wanted to climb every 14er in Colorado. (I hadn't even done Massive, my first one, yet!) In 2006, I finally did Mount Massive, and it was amazing. 7 years after that, I was at 11 peaks. The last three years I really ramped up with the climbing, getting 17 in 2014, 19 in 2015, and 11 this year. I feel very accomplished. :) The Centennials.... it's not as much of a hard set goal as the 14ers, though it would be cool to get them all. I'll probably work on some here and there, but also do repeats of 14ers I loved, new routes on others, and lots of random, fun looking mountains throughout the state. Maybe some western state highpoints.

Thanks, Annalise! It was good to finally get to hike with you! Culebra was good, and the Crestones were a blast. Thanks for scouting out Capitol for me two years ago.. that was really helpful. :)

Congratulations, Brian!! I hope the Wilsons, and Wilson Peak as your finisher were great. :) Yes, I was able to get all four Colorado Great Traverses! I loved the Bells, the Crestones, and Little Bear-Blanca. They are all different, and challenging.

Thank you, everyone who joined in my adventures and climbed with me! Also, I want to send a thank you to everyone who answered my many questions in the forums.. for your helpful advice. And thank you so much, Bill, for your hard work with updating and maintaining this site. It was an invaluable resource for me. Thank you for helping so many people achieve their goals, and enjoy the beauty of Colorado's mointains. You are very much appreciated.
jeffth5
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeffth5 »

Congrats Ben!

I enjoyed hiking Challenger and Kit Carson with you two Septembers ago (even if you did leave me in your dust :-D !).
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Way to go, Ben! =D>
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
kmikwilliams
14ers: 58 
13ers: 142 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kmikwilliams »

Congrats, Ben! Now get to work on all those centennial GPS treks I've emailed you! :)
"Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." ~Lou Holtz
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Thank you!

Haha yes.. I'll have to get to some of those ;)

Thanks, Jeff! I remember that.. that was a really pretty hike, one of my favorites.

Of all the ones I've done, these are my favorites:

*Capitol (beautiful approach, knife edge was really fun, fun scrambling afterward, good views)
*The Bells traverse (super scenic, challenging)
*The Crestones traverse (very fun, good views, challenging)
*The Little Bear traverse to Blanca, and traverse to Ellingwood (challenging, lots of crazy exposure, good views, the Blanca massif is really cool)
*Pyramid (very scenic, a fun finisher)
*Longs (Loft up and Keyhole down.. fun route)
*Kit Carson and Challenger (great views, the Avenue was fun, Willow Lake is magical. I'll probably return for the N ridge route)
*Sneffels (some of the best views I've seen, juts way up. I'll probably return for the SW ridge route)
*Snowmass (long approach, but really scenic, esp with changing aspens, Snowmass Lake is super cool, good views)
*Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn (fun, good views, the tundra in between is very, very scenic)
*The Chicago Basin quad (very pretty, very cool views with the San Juans all scattered to the north, Sunlight's summit was very fun, Eolus was fun)
*Lindsey (very cool views of Blanca and Ellingwood, ridge route was very fun, good exposure)
*Wilson triple (fun scrambling, though pretty loose at points, Mt Wilson was fun to summit, good views. I'll probably return for the N buttress on El Diente)
*Holy Cross (Halo Ridge was fun, seeing the Cross Couloir from near the cabin was surreal)

Honorable mentions: Humbolt (very, very cool views of the Crestones), Harvard/Columbia (fun, first big and enjoyable traverse, though loose down Columbia), Huron (one of the best in the Sawatch, great views), Massive (first 14er), Handies (very pretty)

It's really hard to rank my favorites in order... they're all different, fun, unique, challenging in different ways. As many would agree, the Elks, San Juans, and Sangres are all very cool areas.