14er Non-finisher

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
droidly
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (9)

Re: 14er Non-finisher

Post by droidly »

MikeK wrote:I'll see you on Bierstadt on Friday.
If you summit early and are contemplating the Sawtooth, I might be persuaded... :)
----------------------------------------------------------
we're at the end of the map. there be monsters here. ~barbossa
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

Not exactly sure why I'm posting this, but:

I'm 56, still fairly new to this. 2 14ers in 2014, 13 (12 new, 1 repeat) in 2015, 5 (2 new, 3 repeats) in 2016 (as I've focused more on 13ers this year). I am, for my age, in very good shape, albeit not quite at the level I want to be.

And I love it. I should be satisfied, but ...

I'd like to do so much more. I probably won't finish the 14ers (late start in life plus other life responsibilities plus preference to climb 13ers plus fear of exposure - each by itself not a bar to completing the 14ers, but together probably too much to overcome). I haven't done any of the hard ones yet. Other goals are even more elusive. For example, I want to build up to really long days in the mountains. I've made some moves in that direction this year - multi peak days, Grays and Torreys from Loveland pass, a failed Mummy mania attempt that still got me 3 13ers, a four 13er day (Parnassus, Bard, Robeson, Engleman) - but nothing truly impressive.

Not really asking for advice here. I know what I would need to do to step it up, but life obligations make it hard for me. I should be happy with what I can accomplish, and I mostly am. But I really wish I had gotten started years ago.
flatlander
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flatlander »

@LarryM, don't think about the regrets. Focus on what you can do now and in the future. Once I stopped regretting past decisions it made me so much more content with life. It's cliche', but true, the past is the past and you can't do anything except learn from it and make the future better.
Always remember, the mountains don't care.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

True confessions: I'm not a finisher. Call me cheap, but I never could get my head around paying to do an easy trail hike on Culebra just because it's 14+k. The rest I've done, some many times. Plus dozens of other peaks. It's just a great way to see the state/country/world. This year I've done only one 14ers - Longs - but I've done it 17 times so far in 2016. It's close to home & has lots of neat routes! Find your own adventure.
swampthing
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swampthing »

I love the spirit of this thread! Despite how others may discount the achievement of finishing the 14ers, I think it's a pretty great accomplishment and pursuit too. I'm fairly certain I won't complete all 54-58, especially now that I am back in my home state, and I confess that kick myself for not doing more while I lived in Colorado. Let's just say that I've attempted more of the peaks than I ever successfully summitted :lol: but at least I was out there.

Experiencing any time outdoors is just as important as the List. I have hiked 14ers, trekked in other countries, tried big mountains in Ecuador, sport climbed, and rodeo'd -- and I have yet to master a single one activity! But I'll certainly keep reading the TRs and advice from finishers as inspiration.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

swampthing wrote:I love the spirit of this thread! Despite how others may discount the achievement of finishing the 14ers, I think it's a pretty great accomplishment and pursuit too. I'm fairly certain I won't complete all 54-58, especially now that I am back in my home state, and I confess that kick myself for not doing more while I lived in Colorado. Let's just say that I've attempted more of the peaks than I ever successfully summitted :lol: but at least I was out there.

Experiencing any time outdoors is just as important as the List. I have hiked 14ers, trekked in other countries, tried big mountains in Ecuador, sport climbed, and rodeo'd -- and I have yet to master a single one activity! But I'll certainly keep reading the TRs and advice from finishers as inspiration.
Agreed. Accomplishments are relative and unique to each person and I think people forget that along the way. To some, climbing up a mountain, hiking through the woods, or just plain leaving their city may be a big undertaking for them. Anyone who chooses to leave their comfort zone in order to challenge themselves earns my praise, no matter how big or small.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
gandolfo
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gandolfo »

I just did my first 14er on Monday. I live on the east coast and was visiting my sister in colorado springs. I've now bought another plane ticket and I'm heading back in 2 weeks to get my 2nd. I am totally addicted to the feeling of summiting and the beauty of the rockies.