Blanca vrs. Kit Carson

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
_jderbique
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Blanca vrs. Kit Carson

Post by _jderbique »

Hello all,

I was looking at taking one of my long weekends in October and making a backpack up to either Lake Como and Blanca or to Willow Lake and Kit Carson. What are your opinions on both trips- from difficulty to camping to level of enjoyment? I would appreciate any information you have on your experiences. Thanks!
Jack Derbique
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Blanca vrs. Kit Carson

Post by dr_j »

Went up on successive weekends as day hikes. They are very long day hikes, especially Blanca from the bottom.

Willow Lake is a magical spot, one of CO's best places.

Challenger is downright awful going up and down. But the views of Willow Lake and Kit Carson and the Crestones are impressive.

Blanca is much less chossy, but somewhat less scenic in my opinion. The view of Ellingwood is impressive, though. I prefer Italy's Lake Como to Colorado's version.

Pick your poison!
IG: jc_solitude
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

dr_j wrote:Challenger is downright awful going up and down.
I don't agree. If you take the standard route up and down, yes. But there is another route on the right side that is far more scenic and solid, as long as you can manage a little more exposure. I wouldn't do it wet but dry it was a blast and a big improvement on the alternative.

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 9&p=437481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

If you are comfortable with 4th class scrambling the North Ridge of Kit Carson is one of my favorite 14er climbs. I also think the hike in to Willow Lake is much nicer than hiking up the road to Lake Como. By the by, does anyone know if there is still a canoe at Willow Lake? Remember the controversy when someone took it out and managed to drown? I didn't follow what happened after that. But if the boat is still there, Willow Lake wins hands down!!

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Wentzl wrote:I also think the hike in to Willow Lake is much nicer than hiking up the road to Lake Como.
No comparison. Willow Lake is a much more fun hike in. It's sort of surprising how it looks inaccessible but is not.

One of the nicest places in the state.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

dr_j wrote:Went up on successive weekends as day hikes. They are very long day hikes, especially Blanca from the bottom.

Willow Lake is a magical spot, one of CO's best places.

Challenger is downright awful going up and down. But the views of Willow Lake and Kit Carson and the Crestones are impressive.

Blanca is much less chossy, but somewhat less scenic in my opinion. The view of Ellingwood is impressive, though. I prefer Italy's Lake Como to Colorado's version.

Pick your poison!
+1

Haven't done the right side route up Challenger though
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stoopdude »

Was at Willow Lake on Saturday, can confirm the canoe is still there, and there are two life jackets in it.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

stoopdude wrote:Was at Willow Lake on Saturday, can confirm the canoe is still there, and there are two life jackets in it.
Paddles?
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
Wish I lived in CO
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Wentzl wrote:
stoopdude wrote:Was at Willow Lake on Saturday, can confirm the canoe is still there, and there are two life jackets in it.
Paddles?
Was there in June, yes two paddles. Really enjoyed a lap around the lake in the canoe on each of two evenings. Was also useful for stashing the beer. :iluvbeer:
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stoopdude »

Sorry, I guess I assumed the paddles were a given, my bad. Yes, they're there. I also stashed a beer right by the canoe. Was definitely appreciated before the hike back out to the TH.
_jderbique
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by _jderbique »

highpilgrim wrote:
dr_j wrote:Challenger is downright awful going up and down.
I don't agree. If you take the standard route up and down, yes. But there is another route on the right side that is far more scenic and solid, as long as you can manage a little more exposure. I wouldn't do it wet but dry it was a blast and a big improvement on the alternative.

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 9&p=437481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks like an interesting route. Do you have any more info or pictures? I saw the two you had posted in the other forums. If you prefer you could PM or email me. Looks like a fun alternative to the standard route and I think I will try it. So far my only class 3 experience has been Wetterhorn and the Sawtooth (if you can even consider the Sawtooth class 3). How does it compare? My dad and I are, in my opinion, relatively comfortable with class 3 but inexperienced and exposure doesn't bother us too much Thanks! Jack
Jack Derbique