New board member seeking 14er advice

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Re: New board member seeking 14er advice

Post by Tornadoman »

The other issue with the Crestones and KC/Challenger is route finding. Of particular concern is finding the "Avenue" on Kit Carson on the way back from the summit, and the proper point to switch between gullies when descending Crestone Needle (I haven't done the Needle personally). Both of these have led to deaths in recent years. If you do pick those routes make sure to pay a lot of attention to route finding and take frequent looks behind you so you recognize the terrain on the descent.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

is there a 14er that has the best chance of having good weather?
Too early to tell.
I know I am taking a risk flying out for such a short amount of time in early October, but it's totally worth it to feed this new addiction.
It's not that big of a risk since there are plenty of non-14er hikes that can be done in cold weather without that much gear.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

gandolfo wrote:I won't have the time or the equipment to hike it overnight.

How much more difficult are the crestones? Is Kit Carson too advanced?
I'm no expert, but guess I've been through a few paces now. Used to live out East and fly in for 14ers like you are doing, so I know that drill well too. The Willow lake area and much of the approach are visually stunning and a big reason that KC is my favorite. 8 years ago KC / Challenger was only my second 14er (attempt) at the time. The Challenger face was too steep for me then - newbie at the time. It gets worse if there is any precipitation / ice. That Challenger face has turned me back 3 times out of 4 now, including just this June on a re-visit with a friend that wanted to try it (lingering snow got us). Can you do it? Sure / Maybe. However, just wait until next year to have much better conditions and a little bit more experience as well. As others have pointed out, anything in the Sawatch, or Humboldt (also very scenic) would be better choices at this point for October.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2