Sneffels 17 or 18 Sep

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tjerasdave
14ers: 30 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Sneffels 17 or 18 Sep

Post by tjerasdave »

I'm thinking about taking a shot at Sneffels this weekend since the weather looks nice. Have the conditions changed since the last conditions report? Also, should I try to get to the upper TH with my Renegade trailhawk (short wheel base, 8.5 inches of clearance)?

Thx in advance!
jared wilson
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Sneffels 17 or 18 Sep

Post by jared wilson »

Hiked Sneffels over Labor Day. Road to the lower trailhead is rough in a few spots but passable (had a Nissan Rogue with 7.4" clearance). The road beyond is significantly worse and the Nissan didn't make it very far past the lower trailhead. High clearance only, but saw some Jeeps up there. Which route are you taking - standard or south west ridge? We went up the south west ridge (class 3) to the summit then back down the standard route which gave a nice view of blue lakes basin and avoided ascending the loose scree chute.
tjerasdave
14ers: 30 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjerasdave »

jared wilson wrote:Hiked Sneffels over Labor Day. Road to the lower trailhead is rough in a few spots but passable (had a Nissan Rogue with 7.4" clearance). The road beyond is significantly worse and the Nissan didn't make it very far past the lower trailhead. High clearance only, but saw some Jeeps up there. Which route are you taking - standard or south west ridge? We went up the south west ridge (class 3) to the summit then back down the standard route which gave a nice view of blue lakes basin and avoided ascending the loose scree chute.
Thanks for the help! Since I might be going solo, I'm leaning towards the standard route but if someone wants to come along and do the ridge, I would be open to it.
xthine
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by xthine »

We went up the standard route today (my 1st time up), we started at the upper TH in a Jeep Rubicon. A little bit chilly to start (we started at 8am) but warmed up quick. Completely dry all the way to the summit, no traction necessary. Weather looks like about 10 degrees warmer tomorrow and clear.