Conditions next week

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Point North
Trip Reports (0)

Conditions next week

Post by Point North »

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to trail conditions next week, after the snow that's forecast through this weekend? I'm thinking of Huron and the San Juans (Windom, Sneffels, Redcloud).
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Conditions next week

Post by TravelingMatt »

Some snow up high but nothing that should keep anyone off Class 2 peaks. Looks like this system will move through by Sunday.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Up-voting what the previous commenter said: snow starting to stick but not enough to make it bad. Just bring trekkers and you should be fine. I'm jonesing to get at least 3 more peaks in before my season is over. Tomorrow and next week may be my last chances. GL and stay safe if you go.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Might be doing La Plata this weekend, happy to write an update if it's still relevant.

On thing to note, temps are supposed to drop quite a bit over the next few days and into early next week, so I do expect snow and ice to stick around longer than it has been; also planning on somewhat wintery weather above treeline.
MikeK
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MikeK »

Point North wrote:Anyone care to hazard a guess as to trail conditions next week, after the snow that's forecast through this weekend? I'm thinking of Huron and the San Juans (Windom, Sneffels, Redcloud).
Thanks for bringing this up. I'm planning to do Huron, via Lulu Gulch, Monday -- the weather forecast is beautiful. I have heavily-lugged mountain boots and trekkers, so I figure that ought to be enough.
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Can we get a conditions update from people that live in various ranges or might have actually gone out today?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Can we get a conditions update from people that live in various ranges or might have actually gone out today?
Everything around here is white down to 8000 feet, but there are no 14ers in this area.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Ski patrol was skiing on Silverton mountain today. So probably around 1-2 feet above 12k in San Juans.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

As of dusk, snow down below treeline to about 10,000 feet, although open areas have mostly melted.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

Last night on the news they mentioned the San Juans got hit pretty good.
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

There is around 6"-12" above 11,000 with drifts of 2'-3'. But, it's supposed to be sunny which should melt most of it fairly quickly. Ron
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
robinbk
14ers: 49 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by robinbk »

I was on San Luis yesterday (Saturday). About 1-2" of snow fell down to roughly 9,000 feet on Friday (snow depth seemed uniform from 10K to 14K). As of Saturday at 2pm, the snow on/near San Luis had mostly melted below 12K, but not above 13K. Drifts of up to 5 inches on the trail posed no problems whatsoever for Class 1-2 routes, but would probably complicate scrambling on other peaks.

Late afternoon weather in Creede was sunny, so I don't think any more snow fell on Saturday. It stayed pretty cold up high, so I suspect the snow is still there up high.

Weather on Saturday was pretty local, so I'd be awfully hesitant to extrapolate beyond about 10 miles from San Luis. We could see clear skies 10-20 miles away, but the San Luis area was socked in.