Looking for backpacking recommendations

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Looking for backpacking recommendations

Post by Ptglhs »

I did a variation of the 4 pass loop last September and it was gorgeous! 40 miles, 5 mountain passes over 12000ft, weaving from below treeline in gorgeous golden aspen stands to alpine views of the maroon bells, capitol, and snowmass peak. On this link it's called the Maroon Snowmass Capitol Creek Circuit

http://www.coloradoswildareas.com/2014/ ... ing-loops/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you do this one invest in a sky terrain trail map of aspen/crested butte.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

yorksman wrote:I would highly suggest looking at the Flat Tops Wilderness Area, less people up there or even look into the Eagles Nest Wilderness Area basically what I am saying is look for anywhere north of I-70 and you will find it less populated.
Not for long, if you keep sending people there.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

Ptglhs wrote:I did a variation of the 4 pass loop last September and it was gorgeous! 40 miles, 5 mountain passes over 12000ft, weaving from below treeline in gorgeous golden aspen stands to alpine views of the maroon bells, capitol, and snowmass peak. On this link it's called the Maroon Snowmass Capitol Creek Circuit

http://www.coloradoswildareas.com/2014/ ... ing-loops/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you do this one invest in a sky terrain trail map of aspen/crested butte.
That looks like a great trip! And you can, of course, climb Capitol Peak or Snowmass if you take an extra day.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

Ptglhs wrote:I did a variation of the 4 pass loop
Hey this is fascinating. I always heard it was very rugged terrain along the west side of Capitol and Snowmass, but this route description makes it look like an established trail.

Can you please confirm for me the trail was relatively easy to follow, or did you find it old and unmaintained? Of course I'll hike it either way. I've seen a Ted Mahon trip report from a one-day trail run but it didn't specify.

From Forest Service website: "The north side of the pass is a bit vague..."
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I found this to be a very well defined, easy to follow route for 80% of the way. The 1st and 4th days of the hike are on the trails to Snowmass and Capitol so they are well maintained. The area at the south east corner (Day 2) is on the 4 pass loop so again, it's well maintained. Day 5 was easy to follow but I got the sense it wasn't trafficked as much. Day 3 was the only dicey part and in part that was because we took a cut off.

The area between Lake Geneva and Avalanche Lake has a poorly defined trail IF you take the cut off north of the jeep road. If you follow the jeep road it's an established trail. There are wooden signs which indicate the next destination (if not always mileage to it) at all the trail junctions I remember. The was one rough section due to a rockfall. It was between an unnamed pass and Avalanche Lake. Coming down the pass the trail is faint but you can see it in the distance along the west side of the next mountain. The trail follows cairns and essentially hugs a contour line to get to a notch in the hill before dropping down to Avalanche lake. Along the west side of that mountain there was a 50m section of unstable rock with some exposure. I would rate it as difficult class 2 scrambling. After the rock slide the trail is stable and easy to follow. I can't really upload a pic of my sky trails map here but if you get that map and follow the trails there you'll be fine.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

I just did that stretch of trail (from Geneva Lake to Avalanche Lake) last month, and I agree with Ptglhs that it is easy to follow most of the way. There were definitely some short stretches where the trail disappeared completely, though, so bring a map/compass and maybe a gps if needed. Having said that, I have almost no off-trail experience, and I handled it fine since I read up on the route beforehand. Just plan on taking some extra time finding the trail as needed. The terrain wasn't ever bad on the trail either.

I started from Maroon Lake and did the first half of the 4-pass-loop going counter-clockwise (Maroon Lake to Snowmass Lake to Geneva Lake), then broke off south of Geneva Lake on the faint trail that traverses just south of Meadow Mountain, then caught the main N-S trail that goes over Silver Creek Pass and drops down eventually to Avalanche Lake. I then hitched a ride back from the Capitol Creek Trailhead to the main road, and there is conveniently a bus stop there, which basically takes you back to the car at the Highlands parking lot (by Maroon Lake). It was an awesome trip, although I felt the pressure to make it to the end on time to hitch a ride. I did the trip in 3 days, but it would work in 4 (you could then hit Buckskin Benchmark or perhaps Willow Lake, or explore the basin above Geneva Lake). If I had more than 4 days and wanted to focus on backpacking instead of bagging 14ers, I would probably try to head to the Wind River range as was already suggested (never been there, but I'm dying to go).
arvinsmee
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by arvinsmee »

Thanks for all the wisdom everyone. In other news I spoke to a ranger who was out in the Weminuche when we were there (first week of September). She said that though the area is wetter than most other parts of CO, that week was especially bad.

Might end up going back next summer, but bringing some gaiters and a third pair of socks...
mikjik86
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (9)

Post by mikjik86 »

I recommend Cross Creek to the Fall Creek trail head. South of Vail and West of the town Minturn you will find perfection! The 2 trail heads are a couple miles down a dirt road from one another, yet the trip was amazing. We did a 4 day, 3 night, 52 mile long with 12,600' elevation gain backpacking trip in mid July. The trip included the summit of Mount of the Holy Cross and 4 other 13ers along the ridge. (The trip length from trailhead to trailhead is roughly 30 miles according to other reports, yet we did a lot of off trail walking including the 14er which is not included in the standard distance). This was one of the most challenging and amazing trips I have ever done, and also my first backpacking trip! We did 18 miles on the first day to Treasure Vault Lake. We went over Fancy pass on day 2 down into the old mining town of Holy Cross City and up Fall Creek Pass past the Seven Sisters Lakes and then down to Lake Constantine. We stayed the 2nd night at Lake Constantine and took an off-route approach past the Tuhare Lakes and up onto Holy Cross Ridge. Once on the ridge we reached the summit of Mt. of The Holy Cross, backtracked along the Halo ridge snagging more 13ers along the way, down the Notch Shelter route and back to Lake Constantine. We stayed the 3rd night at Lake Constantine and headed out to the upper trailhead the next morning. Luckily we hitched a ride back down to Cross Creek Trailhead saving us the walking distance of 6 miles down the dirt road to our car at the Cross Creek trailhead following the grueling trip. We ran into 1 group the entire first day of 18 miles. The 2nd and third day we only saw a few other people. Plenty of water and multiple 12,000+ passes = :-D . Message me if you have any questions, this trip was amazing!
arvinsmee
Trip Reports (0)

Post by arvinsmee »

SkaredShtles wrote:
arvinsmee wrote:<snip> well-watered (lots of lakes),
Wants this...

Complains about rain.

:mrgreen:
Fun Fact: high precipitation doesn't create lakes, topography does. The Wind River Range gets something like half the annual rain that the Weminuche does, yet it's packed with lakes. On the other hand, try finding a natural lake in the Southern Appalachians.

arvinsmee
Trip Reports (0)

Post by arvinsmee »

mikjik86 wrote:I recommend Cross Creek to the Fall Creek trail head. South of Vail and West of the town Minturn you will find perfection! The 2 trail heads are a couple miles down a dirt road from one another, yet the trip was amazing. We did a 4 day, 3 night, 52 mile long with 12,600' elevation gain backpacking trip in mid July. The trip included the summit of Mount of the Holy Cross and 4 other 13ers along the ridge. (The trip length from trailhead to trailhead is roughly 30 miles according to other reports, yet we did a lot of off trail walking including the 14er which is not included in the standard distance). This was one of the most challenging and amazing trips I have ever done, and also my first backpacking trip! We did 18 miles on the first day to Treasure Vault Lake. We went over Fancy pass on day 2 down into the old mining town of Holy Cross City and up Fall Creek Pass past the Seven Sisters Lakes and then down to Lake Constantine. We stayed the 2nd night at Lake Constantine and took an off-route approach past the Tuhare Lakes and up onto Holy Cross Ridge. Once on the ridge we reached the summit of Mt. of The Holy Cross, backtracked along the Halo ridge snagging more 13ers along the way, down the Notch Shelter route and back to Lake Constantine. We stayed the 3rd night at Lake Constantine and headed out to the upper trailhead the next morning. Luckily we hitched a ride back down to Cross Creek Trailhead saving us the walking distance of 6 miles down the dirt road to our car at the Cross Creek trailhead following the grueling trip. We ran into 1 group the entire first day of 18 miles. The 2nd and third day we only saw a few other people. Plenty of water and multiple 12,000+ passes = :-D . Message me if you have any questions, this trip was amazing!
Thanks! Will do shortly.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

arvinsmee wrote:
SkaredShtles wrote:
arvinsmee wrote:<snip> well-watered (lots of lakes),
Wants this...

Complains about rain.

:mrgreen:
Fun Fact: high precipitation doesn't create lakes, topography does. The Wind River Range gets something like half the annual rain that the Weminuche does, yet it's packed with lakes. On the other hand, try finding a natural lake in the Southern Appalachians.

There's always one in the group...