Mt.Evans via West Ridge Guanella Pass

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Chris_Weissman87
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt.Evans via West Ridge Guanella Pass

Post by Chris_Weissman87 »

Great conditions today. Couldn't have asked for better weather. Few icy patches in the willows that will knock you on your butt if you're not careful. That was it though, only an inch or two of snow in areas in the gully and above. Such an amazing way to get up to Evans. The sawtooth it so cool looking from this trail and so is Bierstadt. Was a perfect way to spend my birthday. Got a late start (9:30AM) back at 2:45PM. No one on this route today and no one on the Evans summit.
briantony1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt.Evans via West Ridge Guanella Pass

Post by briantony1 »

I am doing Evans on Friday from Guanella pass. How did the sawtooth look? Any noticeable snow and ice?
Chris_Weissman87
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chris_Weissman87 »

Not that I could see, seems the sun has been hitting it pretty good, and with all the warmth this week there shouldn't be anything by then! Good luck on your journey! I wanted to do the sawtooth l, but I had already climbed Bierstadt and didn't want to do an extra mile and risk anything bad happening being alone.
briantony1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by briantony1 »

Thanks for the info on the Sawtooth!! Most likely will go for the combo on Friday. Weather looks great.
Maverick6981
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27 4
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Maverick6981 »

Chris_Weissman87 wrote:Great conditions today. Couldn't have asked for better weather. Few icy patches in the willows that will knock you on your butt if you're not careful. That was it though, only an inch or two of snow in areas in the gully and above. Such an amazing way to get up to Evans. The sawtooth it so cool looking from this trail and so is Bierstadt. Was a perfect way to spend my birthday. Got a late start (9:30AM) back at 2:45PM. No one on this route today and no one on the Evans summit.
I enjoyed this route but I can imagine going through the willows in the dead of summer would be miserable. All the mud and stuff was frozen when we did it. I enjoyed the remoteness of the route, we didn't see anybody on it either! We were back in time for a beer at Tommy Knocker around the same time!
mountaingirlmandy
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountaingirlmandy »

A friend and I slogged through the willows around Gomer Creek as we ascended Evans from the west side in July 2015. The willow traverse was slow and tedious and really not all that enjoyable. In retrospect, this little used route is likely more enjoyable and quicker in frozen weather. Countless were the times we slipped into knee and thigh deep water in hidden holes through the willows. But, oh my, how gorgeous and rugged the west side was up the gully!! Truly a great experience but man, those willows were more mentally challenging than Evans itself. No more willows for this little chicky for sure! Evans was 14er #24 for me....looking forward to the rest of them!