Lincoln Amphitheater Route Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hessma
14ers: 10 
13ers: 4 2
Trip Reports (1)

Lincoln Amphitheater Route Conditions?

Post by hessma »

Going to knock out Lincoln this weekend and wondering if anyone has done the amphitheater route lately. I have spikes but no ice axe. Reading the route description, the falls look avoidable so thinking I won't need one.

Also, if anyone is interested in doing this route Saturday, let me know. I live off 285 and can pick you up from the RTD parking area south of Foxton.
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
Mike Shepherd
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Lincoln Amphitheater Route Conditions?

Post by Mike Shepherd »

I'll let you know after tomorrow, I am headed up the route.
Friends don't let friends wear microspikes
hessma
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

Mike Shepherd wrote:I'll let you know after tomorrow, I am headed up the route.
Thank you, sir! Was considering tomorrow, but the schedule is a little shaky for me due to a Veterans Day celebration in the early afternoon.
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
Mike Shepherd
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mike Shepherd »

Sure, no worries. I will try and take some pictures.
Dean82
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dean82 »

You shouldn't need an ax for this route.
hessma
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

Mike Shepherd wrote:Sure, no worries. I will try and take some pictures.
How did it go today? Much snow or ice on the route? I'm prepping for the morning now.
Mike Shepherd
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mike Shepherd »

Not much snow at all actually. You'll be fine with just boots and trekking poles assuming you can kick steps well in snow. This morning there was a paper thin layer of frost on all the rocks which made the going incredibly slow, and a lot of the route was in the shade so it hung around for quite a while. I'm not sure microspikes would help much. I brought my tools and crampons and soloed the Scottish gully to start the route since there was enough ice to climb and ended up kinda bushwhacking it on the way back down since I didn't bring a rope to rappel. I didn't run into anyone else till the summit.
hessma
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

Mike Shepherd wrote:Not much snow at all actually. You'll be fine with just boots and trekking poles assuming you can kick steps well in snow. This morning there was a paper thin layer of frost on all the rocks which made the going incredibly slow, and a lot of the route was in the shade so it hung around for quite a while. I'm not sure microspikes would help much. I brought my tools and crampons and soloed the Scottish gully to start the route since there was enough ice to climb and ended up kinda bushwhacking it on the way back down since I didn't bring a rope to rappel. I didn't run into anyone else till the summit.
Thanks for the report!
hessma
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

My hiking partner had to cancel last minute, so I scrapped my plans to do the amphitheater.

I did do the standard route up to Lincoln and it was a glorious day. Dry all the way up to the north west side of the Cameron trail just below the summit. Felt more like an early summer day than a winter day and the wind was scarce. Thanks again for your help, and I hope to try the amphitheater soon. Looks so inviting from up there :)
Attachments
IMG_001.jpg
IMG_001.jpg (146.15 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Mike Shepherd
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mike Shepherd »

Congrats. Not sure how the standard route is but I would personally give the amphitheatre route like 1.5 out of 5 stars. It's basically just talus hoping and waking most of the way which I found uninspiring and tedious. I honestly think if the whole bowl was filled with snow it would be more enjoyable, especially if it was firm spring snow.
hessma
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

Mike Shepherd wrote:Congrats. Not sure how the standard route is but I would personally give the amphitheatre route like 1.5 out of 5 stars. It's basically just talus hoping and waking most of the way which I found uninspiring and tedious. I honestly think if the whole bowl was filled with snow it would be more enjoyable, especially if it was firm spring snow.
Thanks! West Ridge was pretty much a walk up, nothing crazy but enjoyable thanks to the spectacular views of so many peaks. Sounds like the amphitheater is a dish served best with snow :) Will keep in touch and maybe see about planning a trip up later in the season.