Bivy Sack vs. Tent

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Rynoref73
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Bivy Sack vs. Tent

Post by Rynoref73 »

Wow!! That is a lot to digest!! Thanks all for taking some time to share your experiences and opinions. This is VERY helpful!!
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I remember one trip up snowmass in march going lightweight with just a tarp and a sleeping bag,it snowed about a foot overnight and 8 inches of wet, heavy snow the next day at the lake and we had to hike out cause everything was just trashed, still a fun trip, but i wish we had brought a tent
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

I would add that you can get some really lightweight (near 2lb and under) 1p tents that are plenty spacious. I have seen bivy sacks that approached the weight of 1p tents. Usually the ones that get too fancy trying to strike a balance somewhere between a bivy sack and a tent.

A couple of 1p Tent choices to consider

http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Hornet%201P" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.tarptent.com/protrail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

^ If you want to sit up in your tent, it's worth comparing peak heights and where they are. The Nemo Hornet 1p is 40", Tarptent Pro Trail 45", and SMD Lunar Solo 48". I went with the pyramid design over the wedge because the peak height is right where your head is when sitting up from a laying position, it's easier to get in and out of without having to flip around, floor+vestibule space arrangement (ft^2), and light on the wallet or pack. All three are in the <3lbs shelter list.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."