Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Several "bugs" with GPX files

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.
Site Administrator

Re: Several "bugs" with GPX files

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Bean wrote:That still doesn't import to GTC properly. I'm going to play around with a couple programs over the next day or two and see if I can come up with any conversions that work and will report back. MapSource might like it a bit better..

Edit: MapSource accepts that just fine. Hope to have this figured out in a day or two.

Thanks
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Rarefied » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:30 pm

Looks good, Bill. It loaded into MapSource and transferred into an eTrex where it looks fine. And glancing at the code it looks like you have done what jdorje did manually and I was proposing be automated. Good deal!

At the time I posted about that I considered suggesting the conversion take place on your end but concluded you could/would make that determination on your own. And you did! Thanks. =D>

R

Postby jdorje » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Yeah it can be automated easily enough. I just wanted one as a demo. If Bill has a way to generate them on demand that's potentially even better...if not I'm willing to make some code to convert them.

Bill, the original GPX files had a couple of waypoints in them, for trailhead/lake/summit/etc. Keeping those in (as waypoints, ideally with the correct peak names) is probably a good thing.

Also, I apologize if anyone thought I was blaming Bill. This is a software bug (in the gpx editor he was using), so my intention was entirely to propose improvements, not to attack previous work.
Last edited by jdorje on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jason Dorje Short

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:49 pm

jdorje, no problem at all.

I want to provide the most helpful data possible and it only took a few minutes to write a program to get the desired output. To get this done right, now I have to load the waypoint/route data into a database so the .GPX files can be generated on-the-fly, instead of static exports out of MapSource or TOPO! That will take some time but will probably be more helpful. Additionally, when we want to add more elements to the file, it will simply be a program change.

Thanks for the input!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Oh, and I just updated that new (sample) file to include the TH and SUMMIT waypoints. Let me know if that format works ok.

<file removed>

Thanks for the help!

Postby Rarefied » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:15 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Oh, and I just updated that new (sample) file to include the TH and SUMMIT waypoints. Let me know if that format works ok.

Yup, as before, everything (including waypoints) made the trip to an eTrex.

R

Postby jdorje » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:20 pm

Looks good. Hopefully that format works with various programs, since good programs should be able to do more with it than with pure waypoints.

The only other issue I had was the elevations. Can I propose a 14ers.com-specific GPX extension for elevations? Under <metadata> it would go <datum>EGM96</datum> . (As I understand it, all your elevations are still in EGM96, and not updated for EGM2008, though the difference is only a few feet.) Of course, converting to WGS84 would work too - it would take more work, and the elevations would "look wrong" to humans.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby Bean » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:04 am

Info for those who want to get the file working properly on a forerunner unit:

I started with the most recent .gpx Bill linked in this thread, and ran it through gpx2crs (available here, I scanned it and it came up clean). It creates timestamps for pacing but that just seems to be a requirement for it to work since "virtual partner" is part of the whole deal.

After it spit out a .crs I loaded it in Garmin Training Center, and then uploaded it to my forerunner. I took a look at the map and it works perfectly - granted it's just a line, no topo data or any other information. If creation of a .crs could be built in to 14ers.com I'd be mind-blowingly stoked, especially if we could set the pacing ourselves to make sure we're on schedule etc. However, if all the GPX files would be spit out the way you've made that Bierstadt one, it's nothing more than a 30-60 second conversion and would be awesome for a nav aid.

Let me know if Longs gets updated the way Bierstadt has, I'm planning on my annual jaunt up the keyhole route soon and could do a field test before winter hits.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:15 am

I spent some time implementing the new .GPX file generation process and they now use the new format. I didn't do anything with the elevations but I think that's ok for now.

jdorje, thanks for your input on this. I think the files will be more helpful.

Postby jdorje » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:22 am

Thanks Bill. I'm sure I'll bug you about elevations another time :).
-Jason Dorje Short

Previous