Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Site slowness

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Site slowness

Postby DaveLanders » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Over the last few weeks, I have noticed times when the site is very slow as I move back and forth
from the home page to a forum topic listed on the home page and back again. When I use my
browser's back button to go back to the home page, I will see a message in the lower left hand
corner (after the home page appears to be re-loaded):

Downloading picture res://ieframe.dll/background_gradient.jpg ...

This will often take 10 or more seconds to complete; during this time my mouse is disabled and I
can't click on the next forum topic that I would like to read.

I have also seen brief messages flash by with the dreaded word "facebook" in them, but they
haven't stayed on screen long enough for me to read them.

Any thoughts? Unfortunately, I am not using computers that I own, so I have no control over any
software that is or is not installed on them.

Site Administrator

Re: Site slowness

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:54 pm

Sounds like it might be a browser/cache/proxy or software problem on your computer.

I haven't seen that and looking through the server logs, I don't see much for long page times when going from forum to home page. It usually takes a second to re-gen the home page content because the 14ers.com has a NOCACHE directive so content is refreshed each time you hit the home page. And there are no hidden Facebook links when hitting the home page but there is a link to the 14ers.com FB group.

Also, since you mentioned your mouse freezes up, it could be a software problem on your computer. Our home page uses Adobe Flash Player and Java. If clearing your cache doesn't help, you might try uninstalling Flash and letting it re-install.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:34 pm

Any luck getting this worked out?
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby DaveLanders » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the tips. Right now my session is behaving fine, without my doing anything different.
I will try clearing the browser cache the next time things slow down.

Postby DaveLanders » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:09 pm

My session was starting to slow down a little while ago, so I cleared the browser cache, and things
sped up tremendously. Thanks Bill!