Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Opening New Page Off of Home Page

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Opening New Page Off of Home Page

Postby SingleSpeed » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:28 pm

I have noticed this past week that I cannot right click and open the forum topics off the home page (Recent Stuff) in a new "blank" window/pge. (Open in new window is not a choice when right clicking). Is this a site issue or did I change something on my settings? It (opening in a new window) seems to work off the forum pages but not off the homepage.

Thanks,

JJ

Re: Opening New Page Off of Home Page

Postby nicholasblee » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:27 am

works for me (I'm using Chrome on Windows 7).

Postby Bean » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:17 am

Whatever's broken is on your end.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:26 pm

I agree, that sounds like something which would depend on your computer/browser configuration. Did you move to a different computer/device, update your browser or change to/from compatibility mode in IE.

I'm not sure.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby KentonB » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Bill, I have the same problem... Just like SingleSpeed, if I right-click on the forum topics of the home page, there's no option available to open it in a New Tab or a New Window. This problem only affects me at work though... Things are fine at home.

The only significant difference between my home/work PCs is that I run the latest version of Firefox at home, and here at work we're still using IE 8. Does that help? Let me know if you need additional info to help debug this.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:01 pm

After Googling it, I found many pages related to this problem in IE. Here's one that might help: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111106120054AAsmXlL

I could be wrong, but it shouldn't be related to anything on 14ers.com. You might try going to a different site in your browser and seeing if the problem happens when you're browser outside of 14ers.com. If it only happens on 14er, let me know and I'll keep digging.

Thanks

Postby SingleSpeed » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Bill,

I checked other web pages and it works fine. It seems like the only place that I am having this problem is on the 14ers homepage, and only under the recent stuff "tab", and only for "Forum"& "Trip rRpts". "Conditions", "User pics" and "TH" give me the open in new window choice. Just to let you know. This seems to be goingon jsut the past week to week and a half.

JJ

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:53 pm

Interesting. I'll see if I can replicate it on an old browser since I can't on my current versions.
:-k
What OS/browser/version are you using?

Postby KentonB » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:31 pm

And my experience (at work only) replicates SingleSpeed. At work I have Win7, IE 8.0.

I've also had another reoccurring issue that started around the same time, but this could be related to our firewall. Again, at work, about 90% of the time when I try to click on something that requires me to be logged in, it appears like "something" is logging me out. About 10% of the time I get lucky (like when I made the last post above... I was at work then). As an example though, I tried to post a follow up comment with a screen shot of what I'm seeing. Every time I attempted to insert an image or even post a follow up comment, it took me to the login screen (where I would log in again and again but could never get the comment posted). Very odd. Anyway, I'm home now and attaching the screen shot from work in case it helps.

Oh, and I looked at the link you sent. I definitely do not have Google toolbar (or any others for that matter) at work or at home. :-)

And of course, Bill, you could very well be right... I've seen quirky things like this happen following (for example) a new Microsoft patch... or even a driver update... that will only affect certain users (maybe those with the same anti-virus software, or whatever), but everyone else is good. I'll try doing some research too. Since it only happens at work, it's not that big of a deal for me.

sampleRightclick.jpg
sampleRightclick.jpg (170.7 KiB) Viewed 176 times

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:00 pm

After looking at the code for the home page lists module, I did change the style of the links to use "display:block" so links are easier to click on. It's possible that some variations of IE8 don't like that attribute and it screws up the right-click options. With IE, nothing surprises me!

When I get a chance, I'll make a simple test page that uses the same attributes and see if you still have the same problem. Right now I can't remember if there's another page on the site which uses the same code where you could test it.

EDIT: Try some of the other right-side tabs on the home page. Do you have the same problems right-clicking on the Peak Condition reports? I don't believe those use that attribute.

IE! :cussing:

Postby KentonB » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:55 am

Back at work today and just tested it... The problem only exists with the Forum and Trip Reports tabs. Conditions, User Pics, and Trailheads work fine.

I'd be curious if SingleSpeed is also using IE 8? If he's able to update Internet Explorer and no one else is complaining, I'd say don't worry about it. I'm sure (eventually) our Network guys will get around to upgrading Internet Explorer for us. LOL

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:01 pm

KentonB wrote:Back at work today and just tested it... The problem only exists with the Forum and Trip Reports tabs. Conditions, User Pics, and Trailheads work fine.

I'd be curious if SingleSpeed is also using IE 8? If he's able to update Internet Explorer and no one else is complaining, I'd say don't worry about it. I'm sure (eventually) our Network guys will get around to upgrading Internet Explorer for us. LOL

Yup, then it has to be IE wigging out because of the "display:block" style used on those two tabs, since I didn't put it on the other ones. Stupid IE
Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of it.

Next