Non-14er non-summit hikes?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Non-14er non-summit hikes?

Post by djkest »

This year I plan on doing some non-summit hikes, which is kind of a new thing for me. What I am wondering is, should I take the time to make trip reports and writeups for these? This is 14ers.com, primarily devoted to summitting 14ers. So I'm wondering if there is interest in pic-heavy trip reports of normal hikes. I still put time and effort into editing the photos and making it look decent.

2 hikes I've done this year are Mowhawk lakes in the snow, and Ouzel Falls (wild basin) as examples. What do you think?

Also maybe bill needs to make a couple new websites. 12ers.com and enjoyablehiking.com. :)
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Non-14er non-summit hikes?

Post by jimlup »

My vote (not that I actually have one or anything) would be yes! Do the trip reports. Hiking route reports are helpful. I'm from the flatlands so I usually do my 14ers as a 2 stage activity just to give myself more time to acclimatize. I camp up at the last water just below tree and then do the summit hike the next morning. Having good beta on the hike up to tree is very helpful.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

If the reports detail potential approaches to summits -- especially non-standard routes or obscure peaks -- I could definitely see the value. Even lacking that, they'd be more interesting than such classics as "Quandary - East Ridge," "Quandary East Ridge" or "Quandary: East Ridge." I'd probably keep non-summit reports on my personal blog myself, but I wouldn't begrudge you posting them here.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Absolutely. Lakes make so much nicer destinations for hikes than peaks.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

I have about 50 trip reports on 14ers.com, and only 3 of those include a 14er. So you can probably figure out my opinion.

Please post them!

--D
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

Yes, do it.

I enjoy trip reports from Furthermoor from Moab, The Adirondacks from NYker, Pacific Northwest from Aubrey, Lost Creek by Brian Thomas / Derek, or County High Points by Matt.

My point being that I like variety. Please take the time.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

SurfNTurf wrote:If the reports detail potential approaches to summits -- especially non-standard routes or obscure peaks -- I could definitely see the value. Even lacking that, they'd be more interesting than such classics as "Quandary - East Ridge," "Quandary East Ridge" or "Quandary: East Ridge." I'd probably keep non-summit reports on my personal blog myself, but I wouldn't begrudge you posting them here.
EatinHardTack wrote:I enjoy trip reports from Furthermoor from Moab, The Adirondacks from NYker, Pacific Northwest from Aubrey, Lost Creek by Brian Thomas / Derek, or County High Points by Matt.
Well said on both of these.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." - Oscar Wilde
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
mkrier
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by mkrier »

Yes please, I'm always interested in reading random hikes.

Bonus points for good fly fishing river within walking distance of the hike.
mkrier
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by mkrier »

SurfNTurf wrote:If the reports detail potential approaches to summits -- especially non-standard routes or obscure peaks -- I could definitely see the value. Even lacking that, they'd be more interesting than such classics as "Quandary - East Ridge," "Quandary East Ridge" or "Quandary: East Ridge." I'd probably keep non-summit reports on my personal blog myself, but I wouldn't begrudge you posting them here.
You forgot the classic, "Quandary, East Ridge"
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

Maybe reading trip reports for non summit hikes will motivate me to do some :lol:
I'm slower than Scott P.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

What is the purpose of doing a hike if you can't summit something?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Hell yeah, post them ! Always looking for somewhere scenic and remote to hike, away from the masses.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."