Difficult/Strenuous Hike close to Denver

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DarwinCO
14ers: 14 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Difficult/Strenuous Hike close to Denver

Post by DarwinCO »

Given that I can only attempt 14ers on weekends, I find myself wanting something comparable, but close to Denver that I can do after work.

I'm looking for a hike that is difficult/strenuous within 30 minutes or so of West Denver. I'm just looking to keep in shape and challenge myself during the week while still enjoying the mountains. I live in Highlands Ranch so anything on the South West side of town would be best.

Any suggestions? If this has already been covered in another thread I apologize.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Difficult/Strenuous Hike close to Denver

Post by climbing_rob »

Couple of old standbys: White Ranch loop, the Boulder Skyline traverse, and my personal local favorite, very close to Highlands Ranch, the Sharptail / Indian Creek loop in Douglas county. But only do the latter if its not a particularly hot day.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

South Ridge Mt. Morrison. Steep, short, close to town:

http://www.summitpost.org/route/158262/ ... sions.html
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Greenhouseguy wrote:South Ridge Mt. Morrison. Steep, short, close to town:

http://www.summitpost.org/route/158262/ ... sions.html
+1. This one works the legs and doesn't take too much time.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

A good headlamp, and maybe a like minded partner, will open up a lot of options, including some of the closer 14ers.
habaceeba
14ers: 27 
13ers: 93 1 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by habaceeba »

Crescent Mountain is really close, only a few miles from CO-93 on CO-72 in Coal Creek Canyon. It gains 2,000 +/- feet and offers class 2+ and 3, and even class 4 scrambling. The rock seems mostly solid, but there are exceptions.

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... orado.html
DarwinCO
14ers: 14 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by DarwinCO »

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I'll definitely check out Mt Morrison and Crescent Mountain.
betterhigh
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by betterhigh »

Coming from NW side of Denver, the quick drive to Boulder and doing Green Mountain, Bear Mountain, or the First flat iron are quick (4-7miles) with good vertical (1800 - 3000') and very well developed trails. They make a great gym for the legs!
summers
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 30 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by summers »

Two of us today climbed Chiefs Head, from Wild Basin. 20 miles round trip, about 5300' vertical gain. Beautiful amazing hike, though the knife edge west ridge is far more difficult than the RMNP Hiking Guide suggests. Alice, Ogallala, and Isolation would be similar 20 mile round trip hikes.

But I have to second South Boulder Peak and Bear Peak. The ascent via Shadow Canyon is very steep, and rivals anything I've seen on Front Range 14ers.
luckyzsquirrel
14ers: 47 
13ers: 56 2
Trip Reports (11)

Post by luckyzsquirrel »

I'm a fan of Bergen Peak in Elk Meadows Park near Evergreen. I hike it a lot in the winter, the trail is probably a class 1, but its still a decent amount of elevation gain (2000+) and distance (about 10 miles as a loop) for an after work hike.
waolsen
14ers: 40  2 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by waolsen »

I feel the same way. It's tough to hit the mountains during the week. I've taken up trail running the past couple years and there are some great places on the Front Range to do it. Running helps me get the burn in my legs and helps a lot with the cardio. The runners high usually hits in around 6-7 miles and it's all good.

Some of my favorites is Falcon Mt outside Morrison, Green Mt, Deer Creek Canyon up to the Mesa loop. You can get 7+ miles on all of those. I live in Littleton and they are all within a 15 minute drive.
"The mountains are calling and I must go"
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

South Boulder and Bear Peak, accessed off of Eldorado Canyon Drive near Boulder. Nearly 3,000 ft of vertical.