Huerfano Peaks ID help

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jfox
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Huerfano Peaks ID help

Post by jfox »

My first time to the Blanca group was this past weekend. That place is amazing! Can I get some help in identifying the peaks in these photos I took?

The prominent peak towards the left
The prominent peak towards the left
IMG_2711.jpg (214.53 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
This one is the peak just north of Ellingwood, above and south of Lily Lake.  I climbed it and from maps it's ~13,500 or so feet tall.
This one is the peak just north of Ellingwood, above and south of Lily Lake. I climbed it and from maps it's ~13,500 or so feet tall.
IMG_2694.jpg (245.1 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
IMG_2552.jpg
IMG_2552.jpg (115.51 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Huerfano Peaks ID help

Post by tmathews »

I believe the third photo is Iron Nipple.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The first one is Iron Nipple.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Jim Davies wrote:The first one is Iron Nipple.
The one in the background on the left is on the photo, right? I'm not sure which peak is just to the right of it in the foreground.
sivadselim
14ers: 1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sivadselim »

I do not think the "prominent peak towards the left" in the foreground in the first picture has an official designation. It is 'Pt.12410' and 'Pt.12915' on the map. Iron Nipple is on the far left in that picture.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Yeah, you're right, the foreground one is probably pt 12915' and the one on the left background is Iron Nipple. They're shaped kind of similarly, and Iron Nipple looks like that when viewed from Highway 160 to the south, as I recall. Don't nipples always come in pairs? :-"
Last edited by Jim Davies on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
nomadelmundo
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by nomadelmundo »

Was it the Lily Lake trail you took? I believe photo 1 & 3 are both Iron Nipple
Last edited by nomadelmundo on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maxmius - What we do in life echoes in eternity.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

1st photo - far left = Iron Nipple. The one to its right is UN12900 (don't know exact elevation here at work) and then Blanca of course
2nd photo - looks like an UN on the ridge with California, or could be California itself
3rd photo - looks like Iron Nipple but need to know where it was taken from

You can use this tool on my website to drive around and zoom in/ zoom out / pan around etc to view mountains and ID them:

http://www.100summits.com/tools/google-earth-all.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its fun!
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Jeff,
Here's the link to the quad on LOJ. Good, useful stuff.

Still in BH? Thought you were leaving Colorado?
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Kiefer wrote:Here's the link to the quad on LOJ. Good, useful stuff.
Cool!

Also interesting are the labeled panoramas:

http://14ers.com/photos/mtlindsey/20060 ... labels.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://14ers.com/photos/littlebearpeak/ ... labels.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://14ers.com/photos/blancagroup/200 ... labels.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://14ers.com/photos/blancagroup/200 ... labels.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't line much up with those photos from lake elevation though, but the "iron nipple" is recognizable.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
jfox
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jfox »

jdorje...that first link you posted shows that the peak I summited is the one just to the left, above Lily Lake, titled UN13,660'. Thanks!
Kiefer...I think we're staying...we're still trying to sell our house in Gilpin county though and move down the mountain.
Everyone else, yeah sorry, I meant the one in the foreground in photo #1.
nomadelmundo...yes, Lily Lake TH was where we started from.
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

jdorje wrote:Also interesting are the labeled panoramas:
Excellent. The second is a dead link and its deadness leaves me sad.
When life gets you down, climb!