Engineer Mountain info?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Teeboy
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Engineer Mountain info?

Post by Teeboy »

Just curious if anyone has any info on Engineer Mountain? I've foud some trip reports on other sites, but was just curious. I tried to search here, but only came up with Engineer Pass info....Thanks in advance!
pkpzp228
14ers: 40  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Engineer Mountain info?

Post by pkpzp228 »

It's been a few years since I was there so details are a bit fuzzy. As a summer climb I believe parts of the ascent (south east ridge?) are marginal class 4, during the winter it's a great snow climb, very steep near the summit, wouldn't be a bad idea to carry a few pickets and a rope. I climbed in the winter, the approach and climb were both easy, we chose not to rope up except for portions of the descent. If you climb in the late winter/spring you will certainly want an early start as the ridge is prone to slide. Here's some photos from my climb.

all photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30886436@N ... 875271326/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ridge:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30886436@N ... 875271326/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-- climb on --

http://verticalcompulsion.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Montagne
14ers: 41  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Montagne »

My wife and I just climbed Engineer at the end of July. It was a really fun and short hike/climb with spectacular views. We took the trail off of Coal Bank Pass and followed the ridge line to the top. The route up the ridge was class 3 but could become class 4 or 5 depending on your route selection. We ran into a dead end exposure but backtracked to an area that looked just like a hallway. We climbed over the left wall unto a steep slope. At the bottum of the slope is a sharp drop off (the ribbed edge of engineer). However, there was solid rock and deep cracks that served as excellent handholds and footholds. After ascending past that we arrived at a catwalk to one last final pitch which was not challenging. There were only 2 spots that required class 3 moves on our ascent. Please e-mail me for specific questions. Jberger@gmx.us.
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

If you're talking about the Engineer Mountain near Ouray, there is a 4x4 road that gets within a few hundred feet of the summit. Off the Million Dollar Hwy, take Ouray County 18 which turns into OC17, then north on OC2.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Cooper's Colorado Scrambles book has route info. He calls it "some class 3 and maybe a couple of moves of class 4".
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

JeffR wrote: by JeffR » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:49 am
If you're talking about the Engineer Mountain near Ouray, there is a 4x4 road that gets within a few hundred feet of the summit. Off the Million Dollar Hwy, take Ouray County 18 which turns into OC17, then north on OC2.
I believe this Engineer Mountain is just off Engineer Pass, a high point on the Ouray-Hinsdale county line. You may also approach this EM from Lake City up Henson Creek, etc. I believe there is still a jeep trail leading near the summit.

The better known Engineer north of the Durango Mountain (Purgatory) resort, the main topic of this thread has an impressive mountain profile when viewed from any angle, even to those who have never tried hiking or climbing it.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.