Hiking Near Grand Junction

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Hiking Near Grand Junction

Post by highplaces »

Thanks again for the excellent advice and recommendations, it was a great weekend!

Day 1 – Monument Canyon Trail from upper TH (by Coke Ovens) to lower TH and back to upper TH. Easy trail, excellent footing, no route finding. Great scenery the whole way and fun to pick out the various named rock formations. I enjoyed hiking out and back on the canyon floor.

Day 2 – Rattlesnake Arches Loop in the morning / Mee Canyon Alcove in the afternoon. Rattlesnake Arches was spectacular as advertised, an endless display of arches and other cool formations too. A super easy loop that is not to be missed. The route stays up on a bench, you don’t go to the canyon floor.

Mee Canyon Alcove was incredible. Maybe it’s just that these were my first canyon hikes, but I walked through the alcove with my jaw on the ground the whole way, really spectacular to see. There was a bit of scrambling along the ledges to get down into the canyon. The entire route was very well cairned. Once down on the floor, there was a bit of bushwacking through some brush to get to the alcove, but nothing bad. My camera does not have a wide enough aspect ratio to capture it in one photo. This was my favorite hike of the weekend.

Day 3 – Devils Canyon Loop. This loop takes you through the canyon up on a bench, not on the floor. Great scenery and rock formations on an easy walking trail.

Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Glad you had a good time. Looks like an eventful trip! I have done all of those hikes and think they're all great. Thanks for the photos and update.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
lizs
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lizs »

Nice to see some alternative hikes to Canyonlands and Arches. Thanks for the photos!