Where To Hike in Colorado

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Where To Hike in Colorado

Post by highplaces »

I’ve been in CO on a temporary relocation for the past 6 months. A good chunk of my time was spent climbing 14ers. Once I finished The List I spent some more time in the Elks and Sangres. Then I did a bunch of local stuff (I’m based in Breckenridge) - Tenmile Traverse, a couple of peaks in the Gores, 13ers near Breck. I’m heading out near Grand Junction this weekend to explore some canyons.

It has all been incredibly spectacular and amazing. Now I’ve only got a couple more weekends left here in CO and am making plans for what to see and do and hike.

Possibilities include
- Black Canyon – Gunnison
- Dinosaur Monument
- Steamboat Springs, haven’t spent much time north of 70
- back to Gores and local mountains near Breck

The clock is ticking and my time is almost up. :( What are some of the “don’t miss” hiking areas that I’ve not been to? Looking for something within 3-4 hours of Breck and heading somewhere I haven’t been is a big plus.

Thank you!
14erdude83
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Where To Hike in Colorado

Post by 14erdude83 »

i would say if your coming out to GJ and want a beautiful hik i would either do the Black canyon, or drive a little further and do the soap creek hike back to West elk peak, and Bonfisk, west elk is only a 13er bonfisk is not quite 13000 but an absolutley breathtaking hike, one of my favorites in the area....have a awesome hike whereever you decide upon!
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

My vote would be to head out to Crested Butte and explore around the West Elks and Raggeds. There are some beautiful peaks in that area and the scenery is fantastic. West Elk Peak up the Mill Creek valley would be a great hike. Mount Owen is a really cool and easy climb. You might still be able to get up and do Treasure Mountain but with recent snow I'm not sure. You'd have to look on Summitpost for the route. East Beckwith is a really cool looking mountain I've wanted to do for a while as well. There are a lot of other trails in the area that would be great hikes if you don't want peaks. If you really want to go to Black Canyon make it a side trip from Gunnison and Crested Butte. You can drive along the rim pretty quick and see it.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

RMNP and Indian Peaks.

You would be sorely remiss to not experience the both of these places while in CO. I also recommend the Never Summer wilderness area.

Check out Roach's guide book to the IPW from Breck you've got decent access to the west side hikes, as far as RMNP goes go do some hiking near Glacier Gorge

Good luck!
Make wilderness less accessible.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

I agree with RMNP. It is absolutely spectacular out there. From there you can take highway 40 through Grand Lake and head towards steamboat. There are no 13ers around there, but some cool hikes like fish creek falls, emerald mountain and then you can always go to strawberry park hot springs (my personal favorite in the state that I have been to so far).
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

gonzalj wrote:... then you can always go to strawberry park hot springs (my personal favorite in the state that I have been to so far).
Does that have anything to do with nudity after dark? :wink: :mrgreen:
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Lost Creek Wilderness. Hike Bison and McCurdy from the Twin Eagles or Ute Creek trailhead. You won't be disappointed.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

yeah. maybe a little bit.
14erdude83
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by 14erdude83 »

Jon Frohlich wrote:My vote would be to head out to Crested Butte and explore around the West Elks and Raggeds. There are some beautiful peaks in that area and the scenery is fantastic. West Elk Peak up the Mill Creek valley would be a great hike. Mount Owen is a really cool and easy climb. You might still be able to get up and do Treasure Mountain but with recent snow I'm not sure. You'd have to look on Summitpost for the route. East Beckwith is a really cool looking mountain I've wanted to do for a while as well. There are a lot of other trails in the area that would be great hikes if you don't want peaks. If you really want to go to Black Canyon make it a side trip from Gunnison and Crested Butte. You can drive along the rim pretty quick and see it.

You might also try the ruby range which is a little northwest of the west elk wilderness, or even the anthracites which sit right to the northeast of West Elk Peak the view is incredible from ohio peak, they are pretty clear right now and we are suppose to have some awesome weather this weekend
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

climbing_rob wrote:Lost Creek Wilderness. Hike Bison and McCurdy from the Twin Eagles or Ute Creek trailhead. You won't be disappointed.
I'll second this one. LCW is nearby, lightly visited, and has terrific rock formations, especially the summit areas of these two. Also hiking from Goose Creek TH to the Shafthouse is a great dayhike.

Black Canyon is pretty awesome. I'd also toss in the Sand Dunes as a unique place that you could do as a day trip.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
llamaman
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (1)

Post by llamaman »

Sand dunes NP if you haven't already been there. You can camp out on the dunes, which requires some planning and hauling water.

Definitely RMNP and Never Summer Wilderness. Mt Richtofen has been one of my favorites, combined with Static Peak it makes for a good day. The Mummy Range is also great (see my recent trip report of Unclegar and I doing the "Mummy Kill").
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Much appreciated.

I'm a bit short on research time, so have a few more questions.
climbing_rob wrote:Lost Creek Wilderness. Hike Bison and McCurdy from the Twin Eagles or Ute Creek trailhead. You won't be disappointed.
Jim Davies wrote:I'll second this one. LCW is nearby, lightly visited, and has terrific rock formations, especially the summit areas of these two. Also hiking from Goose Creek TH to the Shafthouse is a great dayhike.
The trails I see coming from Twin Eagles and Ute Creek seem to bypass both Bison and McCurdy to the south. Any suggestions on the best route to the top of both of these?
davey_rocket wrote:RMNP and Indian Peaks. I also recommend the Never Summer wilderness area. As far as RMNP goes go do some hiking near Glacier Gorge
Any particular routes/day hikes you'd recommend?
Jon Frohlich wrote:My vote would be to head out to Crested Butte and explore around the West Elks and Raggeds.
Would love to get back out to the Elks and this sounds like an amazing area, unfortunately time/conditions will not allow for it right now.

p.s. I am going to leave this state kicking and screaming like a 2 year old. :cry: