Another climber dies in RMNP

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Another climber dies in RMNP

Post by gonzalj »

RIP and my condolences to his friends and family.
mountRMN
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountRMN »

This is so crazy! Me and my climbing partner had just made it to the top of andrew's glacier, when the climber had fallen on taylor. We argued back and forth to go left (1/2 hour) to taylor peak or follow the continental divide to hallet and down bear lake trail. If we would have turned left we could have rescued the 2 stranded climbers and gotten to the fallen climber within an hour. We had all the rescue equipment with us on saturday. Something inside of me was telling me to go to taylor glacier, but we didn't. I wish i'd known.
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

The deceased climber has been identified as 54-year-old James Patrick of Littleton, in case you guys didn't see the updated article:

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx? ... ovider=top" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
myrone
14ers: 58 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (30)

Post by myrone »

My deepest simpathy and regrets to all family and friends...........
Rough year indeed. Lets be careful out there; always.
Colorado 14'ers
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

Wow, Taylor Glacier is a sheet of ice this time of year. I think the slope angle reaches the low to mid 50's at the top. So sad to hear of yet another death.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

First my condolences to the family and friends.

So this is an ice climb I assume? Similar maybe the Kautz route on Rainier?
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Jim: 50-ish degree alpine ice. Once the snow melts off the bed of ice is exposed. Similar to Lamb's slide and some of the higher angle snowfileds in the Indian Peaks area. Not clear to me why the other two were stranded.
-Tom
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

Tom I wondered the same thing. If this is not the place for speculation, I apologize. Perhaps he was carrying the rope and never actually broke it out, thus taking it down with him when he fell. I could see the other 2 being gripped with fear after watching their partner fall. It was probably best that they anchored in and waited for help.

My sympathies to his partners, family and friends.
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

TomPierce wrote:Jim: 50-ish degree alpine ice. Once the snow melts off the bed of ice is exposed. Similar to Lamb's slide and some of the higher angle snowfields in the Indian Peaks area. Not clear to me why the other two were stranded.
-Tom
Yeah, that would be very much like the Kautz route on Rainier. I also wonder why he had the rope with him. 1000' is a long fall - damn! Guess they incorrectly decided anchors weren't needed at that position or they hadn't set one yet.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Jim/Gurly: I've been debating a response given that the ethics of this site now seem to be split on digging into the specifics of an accident vs. just bidding the fallen climber farewell. I'm in the middle...if the family is involved I'll quickly bow out, but there are so many lately that have fallen, how else to stem the tide than to learn from mistakes? If the retort is to instead learn from the AAC's Accidents in North American Mountaineering? Well...guess what? We are collectively the feeder pool for AINAM. There is no independent objective body investigating and collating accidents for the AINAM, it's just a mish-mash of SAR group reports, along with mountainproject and Supertopo reports near the forefront.

That aside, the information from this accident is pretty lean. Based only on the press reports there's no indication of anchor failure (eg he was carrying the rope). So apparently the group ran it out unroped and the fall occurred. Unclear why the other two did not move, and/how they anchored in. So much speculation that it's not really that helpful, ie we can all think of a dozen scenarios.

All that said, heartfelt condolences to the family and friends.

-Tom
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

jimlup wrote:1000' is a long fall
I've read two articles on the accident. The one given on this thread said 1000' but one from an Estes Park paper reported 350'.
Either way, it sucks.

My condolences to the family, friends, and partners.
Andy
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Andy »

For those that haven't been there, here's an idea of what the terrain looks like. I'd say 50 degrees is a fair estimate of the maximum steepness (at the top). It's some of the steepest snow I've climbed. Late in the season it would be virtually impossible to arrest a fall.

"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com