Sangre Route Advice

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
avaske
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Sangre Route Advice

Post by avaske »

Was planning a 2 day trip to the Marble Mountain/Music Pass area in the Sangres between Christmas and New Years, and the following map shows what I came up with. Does anybody have any information on this route? (difficulty, avalanche potential, suitability as a 2 day backpack, expected snow depth) Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
sangre map.png
sangre map.png (288.53 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Re: Sangre Route Advice

Post by Kevin Baker »

I would say the snow depths in that area are below average for this time of year (< 2 feet right now), although I'm sure that will change before your trip. Odds are you will not be able to get to that trailhead. I'm not sure how far they plow Music Pass road in winter, but the national forest boundary is at about 9200 feet, which would add about 2 1/4 miles each way.

I think you could safely pack into either of the Sand Creek Lakes. It would be a worthy destination in winter. I'm not sure that your route to the west ridge of Marble would go though since you're looking at an east facing slope steep enough to slide.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

I think Kevins reply is right on. That road does not get plowed whatsoever. In fact, the plowing stops right when the road branches away from the South Colony road. That adds about a mile to the Music Pass road. Also, snow accumulation in the Sangres is behind schedule but it has been very cold, plus the east side of the Sangres gets very little sun this time of year. That means there's gonna be a lot of ice on the road which is steep in places. Driving to Music Pass will most definately not work unless you use a snowmobile. Hiking, or skinning would work. I also believe the route up to Milwaukee Pass could be pretty dicy too. The traverse to Marble with a full pack would be tough, way beyond anything I would take on.

I do think you are on to something; hiking Marble is common in winter and a hike and night up on Music Pass would be a worthy trip as well.

Kane
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

I drove up South Colony Lakes road about 2 miles to do Marble a few years ago in late November. I got about 1/2 mile from the Rainbow Trailhead. The road is pretty treacherous on snow though. Chains would help. Snowshoes are a must.
avaske
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by avaske »

Thanks for the info. One last thing I would like to know, can anyone comment on the actually difficulty of this ridge (class 2, 3) between Milwaukee pass and Marble? I may end up choosing another location, but I would like to know for future reference if anybody knows.

Thanks
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

The majority of your proposed route is NOT safe for a winter trip. The descent that you marked from Marble to the Rainbow trail is the standard winter route on Marble and is usually safe in winter. This is the safest and most reasonable portion of your trip as proposed. Though not easy, Marble is often climbed this way in winter as a long dayhike. You could add a camp at the Rainbow trail/South Colony intersection to break it in to two days.

To do a more complete version of your proposed trip, you would need to use correct route choices to get from Rainbow Trail to Music Pass in the winter. A topo shows viable options and I once descended that way from Marble in the winter.

A southern approach to Marble would definitely NOT drop into Sand Creek Basin and attempt to climb to the Milwaukee/Marble saddle. That terrain is steep w/ some class three in summer. It is all slide terrain in winter. After gaining the Milwaukee saddle, the western ridge from that saddle to Marble is class 3 w/ some scrambling (in summer).

An easier southern route to Marble would take the southern ridge directly from Music Pass to Marble Mountain (crossing 12,739 and 12,620 on your map.) This could be safely negotiated in correct winter conditions.

I wanted to paste a topo version of your map w/ some suggested routes overlayed, but I'm at my sister's computer and am unable to do this. I assume you looked at a topo version of the route, but, if not, try this link:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.9 ... 2&t=p&z=14

If you want an ascent of Marble, the east ridge is reasonable. But if you are looking for a winter backpack, there are many safer choices.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
myrone
14ers: 58 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (30)

Post by myrone »

With all the recent snows this route looks pretty suspect to me as in dangerous.
You may want to check with the following agencies:
US Forest Service
Rio Grande National Forest
Supervisor's Office
1803 W. Hwy 160
Monte Vista, CO 81144
Phone: 719-852-5941

San Isabel National Forest
3028 East Main Street
Canon City, CO 81212
Phone (719) 269-8500
Colorado 14'ers
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Below I've uploaded a map and an elevation profile of that route sketched. In looking at that it seems like a decent route to Upper Sand Creek that stays on mostly avlanche free ground. Once you get to the end of Sand Creek though it looks like you'll have to carefully select your route to Marble Mountain. I drew a route that traversed below Milwaukee Peak simply because that's what your basic sketch showed (which I do realize was just a sketch). Based on the topo and my experience in that area I think that ridge would be class 2 to traverse (the slope on the south side of the ridge is relatively gentle) but I've never done it and there culd be some suprises. But I think you might do better to take a more direct line north from the Upper Sand Creek Lake area to reach Marble mountain. The ridge between Marble Mountain and Point 13,161 would be my first priority but of course you'll have to judge conditions yourself when you get there. For the descent again I just drew an estimate but in looking at the map I think you'd be best to follow the ridge southeast from Marble mountain to point 12,739 and then descend the ridge that heads northeast from that point and connects with the Marble Mountain trail again. After that you just have to worry about what things are like down in the little valleys of Crystal Falls Creek and Music Pass Creek.

Total elevation gain is 5,000 feet and total distance is 15.5 miles based on the route drawn. On unbroken trail in deep powder that can be tough but it's doable. It'll help if you've got a few guys going with you to help share the job of breaking trail.
musicmarble.JPG
Map
(1.75 MiB) Downloaded 37 times
musicmarbleprofile.JPG
Elevation Profile
(67.61 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by sgladbach » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:00 pm

A southern approach to Marble would definitely NOT drop into Sand Creek Basin and attempt to climb to the Milwaukee/Marble saddle. That terrain is steep w/ some class three in summer. It is all slide terrain in winter. After gaining the Milwaukee saddle, the western ridge from that saddle to Marble is class 3 w/ some scrambling (in summer).An easier southern route to Marble would take the southern ridge directly from Music Pass to Marble Mountain (crossing 12,739 and 12,620 on your map.) This could be safely negotiated in correct winter conditions.
I concur with Steve on these comments ... we've been up to that saddle beside Milwaukee many times in the summer ... that'll without a doubt not be a safe option in the winter.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
traderaaron
14ers: 16 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by traderaaron »

Presto wrote:
by sgladbach » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:00 pm

A southern approach to Marble would definitely NOT drop into Sand Creek Basin and attempt to climb to the Milwaukee/Marble saddle. That terrain is steep w/ some class three in summer. It is all slide terrain in winter. After gaining the Milwaukee saddle, the western ridge from that saddle to Marble is class 3 w/ some scrambling (in summer).An easier southern route to Marble would take the southern ridge directly from Music Pass to Marble Mountain (crossing 12,739 and 12,620 on your map.) This could be safely negotiated in correct winter conditions.
I concur with Steve on these comments ... we've been up to that saddle beside Milwaukee many times in the summer ... that'll without a doubt not be a safe option in the winter.
Agree, I was just looking at my pictures of that upper basin and the slope below Milwaukee pass.

Worth exploring the Sand Creek area though in Winter for some serious solitude.